High Plains Drifter

Mexican roosterfish story and photos

54 posts in this topic

HPD, my hat is off to youclapping.gif . Patience, time & research, and willingness to explore have paid off bigtime by the photos you have shown. Way to see it through despite some bumps in the road. You earned those fish!! Thanks for keeping us inspiredicon14.gif.

Rich

Maruthu -

I routinely cast 2 3/8 Little Neck Poppers with a rod rated a minimum of 3 oz. No problem. They go a long way. I think you can do just fine with them - HPD

Thanks HPD, I will go with the 2 3/8 oz Little Neck Poppers for Jacks along with the tins.

And Wish you good luck for your September trip.

Maruthu

Hi Qtiep

I'm glad my pictures helped!! Don't need to convince me to go to Mexico for surf fishing. Love all your fishing story & photos. I'll be getting some LN popper & Line Stretcher before we head down to Mexico in November.

Will share my photos with you if I catch anything!!

Briar

Hola High Plains Drifter (fulerzoo)!

I was just thinking of you and couldn"™t believe it when I saw your post on LG! WOW!! My friend is going to be sorry he couldn"™t work things out with his dad to go on this trip!! I will be 'sharing"™ your latest report with him! Maybe they will be able to work out their problems and make it on the next one!!

Take care roozoo or was that zooroo??

Cata cool.gif

What great reports. I enjoyed it very much and I am thrilled with all your descriptions and captures. I´ve done some trips on my own and with friends through the last years. Having visited the Bahamas a few times and a few other places I like to discover new areas and meet new fishing addicts.  If you go with low expectations, you´ll often get a positive surprise.

I am somewhat new to The Pacific fishing, as I have only been to The East Cape once. I am going to PV or Costa Rica next year late march, early april. 

Would it be a long shot to go for På vej! area in that time of the year ? Or should we choose CR ? We are only 3 in our company and we have 12 fishing days . We are traveling all the way from Scandinavia, so we can not afford to go to the wrong area. Meaning that we would like to fish from a panga some days and go explore remote beaches and places on a day trip basis by car or ATV.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanflyfish View Post

What great reports. I enjoyed it very much and I am thrilled with all your descriptions and captures. I´ve done some trips on my own and with friends through the last years. Having visited the Bahamas a few times and a few other places I like to discover new areas and meet new fishing addicts.  If you go with low expectations, you´ll often get a positive surprise.

I am somewhat new to The Pacific fishing, as I have only been to The East Cape once. I am going to PV or Costa Rica next year late march, early april. 

Would it be a long shot to go for På vej! area in that time of the year ? Or should we choose CR ? We are only 3 in our company and we have 12 fishing days . We are traveling all the way from Scandinavia, so we can not afford to go to the wrong area. Meaning that we would like to fish from a panga some days and go explore remote beaches and places on a day trip basis by car or ATV.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hi Dean!!

The best time frame for Roosterfish on the Mexican Pacific coast is around May though December.

Sailfish is year round, with migratory fish adding to local fish populations.

If your trip is FISHING then I urge you to check out the Zihuatanejo, MX area.

The fishing is much closer there than in Puerto Vallarta. You will start fishing in 15 minutes out of the bay instead of running out for two hours to get out of the bay of Puerto Vallarta.

For more information on Roosterfish and fishing in the Zihuatanejo area, please Google ...........The Rooster Fish Foundation.

For weekly fishing reports in the Zihuatanejo area, please Google......... Ed Kunze

He posts a weekly report, and has links on his page for fishing calendars, fly fishing for Rooster fish (Pez Gallo) and Sailfish (Pez Vella) and loads of other information on the area.

Have a Great Trip whatever your should decide!!!

(I will be down there the end of October to fish, and again the first week of March 2015)

Keith

Hi HPD,

I know this thread is old but this is an amazing read.

Would it be possible to PM you and pick your brains about pulling together a trip to Mexico to target Roosters. There is 2 of us from the UK planning our annual fishing trip and having travelled most of the world fishing, one of the biggest bucket list fish for us is the rooster!

Thanks again.

Rick

Hiya Rick-

Welcome to SOL,

HPD isn't posting that much any more so you may not hear back from him. This is a shame since his posts were very readable and full of great information.

However, there is a lot of information on  SOL by HPD and others that can be found using the search feature. If you are lucky maybe a few of those guys will respond to your request.

Once you have participated on the forums (15 posts I think) you will have access  to private messaging, which you may find to be of help as well.

Roosters are still on my bucket list as well. Good luck!

AP/JLC

23 hours ago, rickdos said:

Hi HPD,

Would it be possible to PM you and pick your brains about pulling together a trip to Mexico to target Roosters. There is 2 of us from the UK planning our annual fishing trip and having travelled most of the world fishing, one of the biggest bucket list fish for us is the rooster!

Thanks again.

Rick

HPD also had a website up - with lots of practical info - though I do not think he's updated it in a few years. I know he had to stop those 'adventures" - I never pressed him as to why.

Not sure if the link is allowed but it's not a commercial site - just informational.

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215723/FrontPage

I went.

He is a great guy, even if just a little too silly about his fishing. I was very impressed with what he had ready to go for my band of Floriditos when we arrived at the accommodations. We saw pristine beaches, traversed jungle trails, and I never once questioned his judgement.

We fished at Mayo. I think there is still some guided trips available, based on staying at the hotel there. I liked the accommodations and the owners very much. She made chicken lunch and dinner everyday, and everyday it was fabulous. A powerful hurricane hit Mayo directly two years ago. Never heard about how they made out, but you should be able to google them up. Seems to me something is available where you ride four wheelers like I did.

Its ideal for lovers and fishermen.

Let me know if you need particulars about things.

Posted (edited)

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 0:39 PM, rickdos said:

taHi HPD,

Thanks again.

Rick

There is a guide named Carlos Ernesto Sanchez known as snookmafia. He said he will provide full service including transportation from PV,lodging and food.

Edited by ksong

Rick,  

Interesting to see you revive this post.  For the past 5 years I have been off and on researching Rooster fishing in Mexico.  I have been scouring all of HPD's posts here and his website that was posted previously.  Lots of great info there.  Also search here for posts by Jurel, which you will probably come across in the posts by HPD.

I actually just completed two separate trips to Mexico in the last month targeting Roosters and shorefishing in general.  I stayed at a place called Casa Rayo del Sol in La Barrita, Guerrero, MX, which is located in a very rural area between Zihuatanejo and Acapulco on the west coast.  Their website is labarritavacations.com .  The owner is the guy named Mark who previously posted here as Jurel.  He runs a small B&B right on the beach in the Town of La Barrita.  He also guides beach shore fishing excursions for Roosters, and guides inshore and offshore charters out of a nearby port in Puerto Vicente Guerrero.  The inshore trips are geared toward targeting Roosters.   Marks B&B is a very low key operation, but very clean and well maintained and right on the beach.  Good surf fishing right in front  and then from there you can walk miles of undeveloped beach.  It's awesome.  

I also recommend that you google a guy named Ed Kunze who operates a charter booking service out of Zihuatanejo.  Ed publishes a weekly fishing report at fishreportsixtapa.******.com.  (You will see me and my son in last week's report!)  I believe Ed is one of the founders of the Roosterfish Foundation.  At Ed's website you will see a lot of info about charters out of Zihuatanejo.   You also will find links there to articles Ed has written on rooster fishing and offshore fishing out of Zihuatanejo.  Ed and Mark work together on booking Rooster charters out of Puerto Vicente.  You really want to research the inshore and offshore fishing out of Puerto Vicente.

Make sure you also research thru Ed the Zihuatanejo captain Adolpho.  Per Ed he holds the world record Roosterfish? (I thnk!) maybe not.  Regardless he is regarded as the topnotch Captain for Roosters.  Hard to book though because he is busy.

As I said, a friend and I were just at Marks place Casa Rayo del Sol  in La Barrita the 8 days at the end of November.  I liked it so much I went back for another week over Christmas with my son.  Both times we mainly surf fished from shore, but also took charters out of Puerto Vicente inshore and offshore.  One inshore trip we hit a beach loaded with Roosters,  We landed 25+ in two hours!  Not huge, but talk about checking off the bucket list!  I am going back in March!

Also, you may want to look up this website: escapeixtapa.com for Bahia la Tortuga Fishing Lodge.  This lodge is located right in Puerto Vicente and offers stay and fish packages with inshore and offshore charters.  looks like a quality operation also.

Feel free to PM me for more info, or ask here.

a close up of a map: Mexico Travel Warning Map

I've never been to any of the red zones in  Mexico so I don't know, however the State Dept. has just issued warning for these areas .The red zones include the Zihuatanejo / Puerto Vicente areas. Violent crimes in red zones are so widespread that the State Dept. has issued the same precautions for these areas as traveling to Yemen, Syria or Somalia.