High Plains Drifter

Mexican roosterfish story and photos

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

HPD

Excellent photos & video!! Well done. I will be heading down to PV in late November for 2 weeks. Will let you know how we do. How do you compare Rangers with little neck popper? I get good distance from Rangers but like to try something new if I can get same distance!!

Rita

Nice to hear from you again Briar! I hear you have contacted me amigo Fred and he lives near you!! Small world! The Little Neck 2 3/8 ounce sinking (it fishes the surface easily) will cast nearly the same distance as a Ranger. We fish them with a very aggressive and fast popping motion but the beauty is you can fish them in a great variety of ways. They have a different splash than the Roberts and the fish respond to it very well. We definately had a better bite to follow ratio with the Little Neck. The hooking ratio is much better with the Little Neck because they have trebles and most fish were hooked on the belly hooks. After fishing both the Roberts and the Little Neck side by side for three days I would have to say the Little Neck produced more fish. Hope this helps! - HPD

HPD, were you sight casting to these fish or fishing holes/structure? When you say they were far out and in deeper water, how far and how deep? I can see how steep the beach is and was wondering if it continued like that.

thanks.

We rarely saw roosters to cast at. Occassionally they were breaking bait or we saw one in a wave. The vast majority were caught blind casting to the outside of the sand shelf. The best spots were where the edge of the shelf was nearest shore and adjacent rocks were a bonus. Most of the time we had to cast in excess of 100 yards. Sometimes the capability to reach 150 yards was a great assett.

The jack crevelle were often closer to shore (right in the waves) esp. early in the morning.

First light to noon was best fishing. We rarely caught much in late afternoon or evening. - HPD

How much does a trip like this cost (average)?

We do it on a shoestring. Lodging, food, jeep rental, and 1/2 day panga trolling costs @ $650 for four or five full days of fishing. Current airfare varies from $450 -$600. Obviously it is of great assett if your first time into the Mexican outback is with someone with experience. If anyone would like to go on a trip like this, please contact me. I am taking small groups (3 people) of interested fishermen once or twice per year. - HPD

Sleep came with difficulty as it usually does until one is adjusted to the humid warm nights.

I take it that the place you're staying at has no a/c.

How about a fan in your room? Electricity?

hpd when is the peak season in the areas you go to?

Peak season is the warm water season. The rainy/hurricaine season coinsides with this - mid June thru late Sept. - so you are risking a washout. So far, it has been best for me right at the end of the rainy season (late Sept.). The water is still warm and the roosterfish are abundant with lower risk of running into foul weather. Also, the locals call September the "hungry" month because there are very few tourists and you will find the cheapest rates and the facilities are absent of tourists (both Mexican and foreign).

I am very interested to find out how late into the season the roosterfish are still consistantly available. Last time, when we went late Feb./early March, they were not consistant and we didn't catch any. However Briar (SOL poster) did find some the week after we left.

I'm thinking of trying it the first week in January, just after the holiday tourist influx. This is before the water temps decline to their lowest. I enjoyed the Feb./March fishing a lot and there were various other species available. It would be neat to find an overlap between somewhat consistant roosterfish and the start of cooler water species. I have found reports of good roosterfish at PV around that time. Obviously, most of us northerners would prefer to go to Mexico during our cold weather months. If anyone is interested in going the first week of January let me know soon. - HPD

I take it that the place you're staying at has no a/c.

How about a fan in your room? Electricity?

They got electricity about 2 1/2 years ago. The rooms have ceiling fans and they help however I am going to take a small desk fan with me next time. This should make sleeping comfortable. - HPD

HPD

Excellent photos & video!! Well done. I will be heading down to PV in late November for 2 weeks. Will let you know how we do. How do you compare Rangers with little neck popper? I get good distance from Rangers but like to try something new if I can get same distance!!

Rita

Hola Briar, you know after Todd showed us pictures of your catches, that started a roaring fire to go back to Mexico. The roosters, jacks and Cubera were everywhere. The lone local angler that Todd mentioned tugging war with a BIG fish turned out to be a giant yellowtail. He slung bait out to underwater rocks about 50 feet out. Fish were everywhere! We hooked up almost every other cast out, but them fiesty smaller jacks, needles and roosters just nailed everything resembling bait.

I started out using a blue and silver 2 3/8 ounce Little Neck popper. Fast splashing retrieve really got the rooster fins up. The hookup ratio were far better cause of the extra treble hook. 2nd day I slowed the popping down around the rocks and something smacked it with it's tail. I retrieved and tossed out to the same spot, pop.........pop..........pop.......SMACK! This huge head crushes the popper and start it's dive. My drag was set heavy enough to handle the roosters and jacks, but this thing peeled out line and ran like a crook after hitting the corner deli. My next instinct was to thumb the spool to hopefully get a chance to turn her. She slowly rise to the top and shows herself with a swoop of her head followed by this red/pinkish mass of body pig2.gif and ending in a yellowish hue of a tail. At this moment everything slowed to a crawl and I sensed that she got angry. My spool sounded off with a whizzzz and the rod doubled over going right. I two step towards her direction, but the might, her might fueled with anger brought me crumbling to my knees as she wrapped herself around the corner of the rocks. She is what haunts me at night and came to be known as Ophelia, but more like "I feel ya.." as I write the name of her species with a capital C.

Other then that, the Whistler rocked the casting, the blue and silver LN popper caught the BIG fishs, but the one lure that I had with the most success was the pearl color Line Stretcher. It casts with a vengence screaming for Asia. It matched perfectly with the bait fish splashing and popping on top water. It has eyes that'll LURE you into surrendering. Try one out, promise you won't regret bringing one along. Only if it has extra treble.

Good luck in November and post lots of pics.

The jack crevelle were often closer to shore (right in the waves) esp. early in the morning. - HPD

HPD,

Were Big Jack Crevelle's like the one you hold in the Picture closer to the shore? That's an amazing fish. On what did you hook that one?

Maruthu

Hi Marutha,

Most of the big jacks that I landed were very close to shore, I did hook a few way out but those seemed to be while fishing an open sandy beach. The close in ones were near submerged rocks. I hooked most of mine on little neck poppers in green and blue and a few on white.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I will be fishing for Jack Crevalles from the mid of September using 3 to 4 oz tins. I would like to use Plugs, but since my only rod is rated for a minimum lure weight of 3 oz, I am not sure if can catch Jack Crevalles using 3 oz Plugs as they are too big.

Maruthu

Thanks Jim,

I will be fishing for Jack Crevalles from the mid of September using 3 to 4 oz tins. I would like to use Plugs, but since my only rod is rated for a minimum lure weight of 3 oz, I am not sure if can catch Jack Crevalles using 3 oz Plugs as they are too big.

Maruthu

Maruthu -

I routinely cast 2 3/8 Little Neck Poppers with a rod rated a minimum of 3 oz. No problem. They go a long way. I think you can do just fine with them - HPD