Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

A conversation with Mo Ron

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Did a little carp fishing today. Im there at the edge of the pond casting my lines out, when some guy comes up to me and proceeds to ask the following:

Mo: Is there any fish in there?

Ismail: Yup

Mo: You sure?

Ismail: Pretty sure

Mo: What kind of fish?

Ismail: Carp

Mo: You sure?

Ismail: Uh huh

Mo: Big?

Ismail: Nice size

Mo: Can you see them?

Ismail: Yes...sigh

Mo: Catch any?

Ismail: Yup (if he aks me "are you sure", I am going to drown him)

Then thank goodness he leaves. Where do these people come from?

That is funnysmile.gif

Got to have a sense of humor.

I get asked all kinds of stupid stuff.

Here's some good ones;

I'm whaling away on trout with dry flies.Guy walks up and asks me what kind of fly I'm using,It seems to be working pretty good.When I show him he tells me it's too big and that won't work.icon25.gif

One time I was tying a fly with flourescent chartreuse rabbit.A guy asks me "is that dyed?"Nope,it's natural chartreause rabbit.Very rare.hammer-time.gif

I'm standing on an empty beach no one in sight anywheres.Here comes a guy,walks right up to me and says'Hi,mind if I fish right next to you?"If I say yes do you think he'll

leave?cwm13.gif

"How do I make my fly sink more?"Uhhh,make it heavier?"

Guy walks up and asks"are you catchin any?"

I always say"Well,I almost caught one".

This reply usually goes right by them cause they always ask, "what are you using?"cwm27.gif

I'm no einstein but I swear people are getting dumber and dumber all the time.

maybe it's air pollution or too much TV or something.

LOL...good stuff in this one!!

A couple weeks ago i am walkin off a beach at about sunrise, I'm carryin a bass that i got while it was still dark, while i am unlocking my car a guy in a cherokee pulls up to me and asks me if i just caught that fish, i replied: no i have been carrying it around for about 3 days now rolleyes.gif

Hey caranx- I've paddled around that pond in the park in Madrid. Mucho carp en este aqua. How long a trip is for you to the coast? I was surprised by the amount of salt water tackle in the shop I went into when I was there (it's located not far from the outdoor operetta stage). In fact, I was inspired to track down Red Gills after seeing them in that shop. Also, any fish in the rivers around there?- I spent some time looking over the bridge into the river at Toledo. I was there for about 5 days, but never sampled too much of the nightlife as my wife and I were too tired to stay up so late.

I know the pond you're talking about, is in the Retiro Park a very nice place. Actually me and another couple of mentally disturbed friends of mine were thinking about releasing some Pikes in there; I bet in a couple of years we would have had few world records fish in the very center of Madrid....

Nearest coast for me is valencia some 240 miles east, good Bluefish fishing in spring and summer and Bluefin Tunas too. Bad captains. In the river that cross Toledo,you can find a lot of carps again and some Pikes here and there, no big deal. Around here there are quite a number of reservoirs, big pieces of controlled water with few but huge Northern Pikes in there (33lb caught on a fly a couple of years ago), plus Carps, Black Bass and the usual stuff. My favourite spot though is a tiny stream not far from Madrid, skinny water but great fun with Pikes on top water lures. wink.gif

I'm getting old for the nightlife too, and here in Spain seems like people never go to sleep.... icon20.gif

Hasta luego smile.gif

caranx

Hey caranx- I've paddled around that pond in the park in Madrid. Mucho carp en este aqua. How long a trip is for you to the coast? I was surprised by the amount of salt water tackle in the shop I went into when I was there (it's located not far from the outdoor operetta stage). In fact, I was inspired to track down Red Gills after seeing them in that shop. Also, any fish in the rivers around there?- I spent some time looking over the bridge into the river at Toledo. I was there for about 5 days, but never sampled too much of the nightlife as my wife and I were too tired to stay up so late.

BrianZ - Or the one: You've just caught a teen size Bluefish that's trashing and flopping about tossing sand in the air and the Mo asks "Did you catch that here?" rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

You need a "force field". Sorta like the SS Enterprise.

Me? I NEVER wash my vest. (right now it's in the back of my sun-beaten vehicle with a half dozen rigged eels marinating in an inside pocket) It's sort of like a repellent. "Deep-Jetty Off". This morning a guy told me I smelled like a can of sardines. biggrin.gif

One time last summer I fished a local inlet after work because I saw fish feeding on the surface and this guy comes up to me and asks the usual stupid questions, "Fish biting", "You get any" "What kind of fish", Blah, blah, blah.... Guy talked my ear off for about an hour. I decide to go back the next day to catch some more fish, and who's there with every possible thing the tackle shop owner could sell him, but my new friend. This guy is hysterical. He proceeds to show me all his new toys and then starts asking me what each one is for. I had to hold back the laughter by what he purchased to try and catch some albies and shad that were in the inlet. Shop owner sold this poor guy giant surface lures, spoons that you would use to troll offshore with, 6oz bucktails, etc... So I kind of felt bad, and then he started in with "What kind of fish do I catch on this pole" and I knew I was in trouble. This guy actually had me cracking up for about 3 days with the stuff he was saying. He's asking other guys on the rocks "What kind of a guy buys a pole like this" 5.5 foot boat pole with bright pink fishing line. I'm laughing pretty hard even right now. Hey "DanFromNJ", you remember that one??????

Play the game..talkin is part of fishing.. If I got someone chewing my ear off its..oh ya ..really..wow..I hear about whats going on over hear and there and at night, this spot and that spot. Worst thing you can do is top someones story they'll clam right up..let em brag. Then take two aspirin and go to your honey hole..

The guy jay is talking about was a real character. He talked a mile a minute like he was on speed. and asked about everything he spent money on and anything he saw us use. He had short reallt really heavy boat poll that they sold him for surf fishing. He could have handled a yellow fin with this thing. He had sinkers you would use for cod fishing. ANd they sold him enough of them to to sink a small row boat. Every minute was what do you use this for. "The guy at the store told be you can catch blue fish with this will it really" Here was a good one they told him and he ate right up. This was the best part: "The diamond Jig is diamond shaped so when you drag it accross the sand it will make a line in the sand on the bottom that all the fish in the area will follow right to your line then eat it." His favorite saying was who would buy a poll like this? Over and over after he realized they outfited him for canyon trip for cod. We kept telling you, your the guy who do that.

I think the best place for talking to Mo Ron is still the Canal. Even at night, he comes strolling by with his dogs or bikes up to you and starts with the usual blather. I'm probably the worst Canal fisherman ever, I never get anything, and when I do they're always shorts, obviously they are because I put them right back in wink.gif

Best one yet was the two drunks that managed to find me, Saltheart and Scott B a couple of years ago. The less-drunk designated driver, the one with "only" a .22 blood level, bent our ears for maybe a half-hour interrupted by single syllable replies. Mo the drunk told everyone in a quarter mile stretch "don't move, that's a real good spot".

When I was walking in the parking lot carrying my big Ditch bass back to the motel, some guy asked me if I caught it from the Canal, I said "No, I just like walking around the parking lot with a big fish"

Its night time, SlipKnot, my Uncle, and me are all standing there holding our fishing rods, this guy walks by us and asks "You catch fish at night?"

Actually, Mo the drunk was right---those were all good spots to be until he crashed his buddy's car into a tree biggrin.gif

My answer would have been to the last one, "Naw, but it's too hot out tonight to play golf".