Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

What fish?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

It's a northern stargazer...and that one looks like it's got a bad case of sunburn redface.gif

I'm sure you can eat them, the live in the near-surf and eat the same things as fluke, sea robins, blackfish and seabass.

Did you catch it Fred? When you hook them on a plug or rigged eel, they hit hard, and then they anchor themselves to the bottom by quickly digging in cwm13.gif I've even popped my leader trying to yank them outta the sand a time or two....most times you can rip them outta the sand for a few handle cranks...then they dig back in again cwm13.gif

Neat critters -- and alive, they are a very cool looking fish icon14.gif

TimS

I agree. Looks like a stargazer but it is the biggest that I have ever seen. I never touch them though, they have a muscle behind their head that is capable of generating an electric shock and I believe that some of the fin spines have a toxin that will put a hurting on ya! Best recipe is to skin and baste with butter salt and pepper then place a brick in its mouth and bake at 300 for about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven let cool. Pull brick out throw fish away and eat the brick.

Looks like a stargazer but it is the biggest that I have ever seen.

I've seen some big ones...NJ has been the home of the IGFA all-tackle northern stargazer a few times over the years -- the first was 9#, then it got bumped to 10#...I'm not sure how high it is now icon25.gif

TimS

I agree. Looks like a stargazer but it is the biggest that I have ever seen. I never touch them though, they have a muscle behind their head that is capable of generating an electric shock and I believe that some of the fin spines have a toxin that will put a hurting on ya! Best recipe is to skin and baste with butter salt and pepper then place a brick in its mouth and bake at 300 for about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven let cool. Pull brick out throw fish away and eat the brick.

cwm27.gif I dont know if id want to put my hand in that mouth...

I've seen some big ones...NJ has been the home of the IGFA all-tackle northern stargazer a few times over the years -- the first was 9#, then it got bumped to 10#...I'm not sure how high it is now icon25.gif

TimS

Tim, NJ record is at 13 poinds even right now. Not sure what the world record is.