Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slayer

More fun with foam

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

A few years ago I was on a charter and got a glimpse of something really special, a foam inlay by Billy40. I knew that I had to do something like this for my kids. He gave me some instuction and I had a go at it. I used a refrigerator magnet for a template on the first couple of inlays. The learning curve was fairly quick and I moved on to some more difficult designs.

LL

LL

LL

This spring I knew that my daughter would need an ocean rod so I started again. I had to use a different adhesive ( I could not get the stuff I used the first time) and needed to be a little more careful due to more complex designs. A big thanks to Billy40 for some more insights. I have never seen any inlays other than mine or Billy40 creations. I said to him that the payoff is definitely worth the time invested and I was surprised that I don't see more inlays. I figured I would share a few picures of the project, anyone else?

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

The finished rod came out nice, my daughter is happy and even guys with custom rods don't realize that the design is not painted on until the process is explained. Then they are just floored, which is why I can't believe more guys don't do this.

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Wow, that is some nice work on those rods. The new rod for your daughter not only sports that great inlay work, but it looks very nice from a wrapping perspective too!

Slayer, nice job once again. There really are not many guys doing this type of handle work with this amount of intricacy. If I had to guess I'd say there are maybe 20 guys worldwide doing these types of grip inlays.

To me the most rewarding part is being creative and coming up with a really cool theme for a rod. Hudson's rods are so sweet, and they are TRULY one of a kind.

I still cannot get over how well you can cut the name out. I tried that a coupel of times, and had an extremely difficult time & just came up with another theme, lol. I do see you sneaked a Pinwheel wrap into one of the pictures, nice job there as well.

That is a really interesting concept----has Billy40 ever put out a book or cd on that process----I would buy one in a heartbeat. I have never been able to cut foam with that kind of precision.

Billy40 didnt' invent this technique, Bernie Cohen & Emil Baggetto did. If you look on Mudhole's site there is a how to on inlays. Tehre isn't anythign worth putting into a book.

Find an image. Trace it, dig out grip, glue it in. You owe me $5 now, lol.

Nice work Slayer!!! icon14.gifbiggrin.gif

I know T loves her Snoopy inlay and anytime someone sees it they get floored...also say my rodbuilder has way too much time on his hands wink.gif

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I learn some new things each time I do it. I think my sons fishing rods will be easier, less complex designs.

Billy, I wasn't trying to sneak in a pic of the pinwheel wrap, I was trying to sneak in a pic of the cool pink color on the rod.

Deltap327, that's almost the same instructions Billy gave me the first time, go for it.

Are there any Rodbuilders actually interested in learning how to do the grip inlays with characters? If I get enough interest, I'll waste some time posting a how to step by step with pictures of all the steps.

Or, I should make a 30 minute DVD and charge $20 for it instead, lol.