Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpoliti

Question on Korkers Modifications

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have seen the modifications that have been done with the older style korkers, changing the studs with nuts and bolts. Has anyone tried to modify the newer korkers, the ones with the straps (K-5000)?

Thanks

Tony

Both you guys just threw them out?

Did either of you try the korker modification (article posted in the article section).

Why not just add extra studs to the old 1100 so they end up with the same number of studs as the new 1100? My understanding was the older 1100 had fewer studs but the rest was the same. Maybe there were other things different on the two versions redface.gif

Just curious.

Both you guys just threw them out?

Did either of you try the korker modification (article posted in the article section).

Why not just add extra studs to the old 1100 so they end up with the same number of studs as the new 1100? My understanding was the older 1100 had fewer studs but the rest was the same. Maybe there were other things different on the two versions redface.gif

Just curious.

You didnt read the question.... it asked about K-5000 Korkers, which IMO are horrible, but I abuse my korkers out here in the rocks harder than most. While I am on the subject, I think the modification isnt so good cause the nut/bolt combo turns into ice skates after an outing or two and becomes worse than bare feet, but some do like it. As for other differences between the Korkers there was an extensive batch of 1100s that were made using a sub-par batch of rubber (to soft) that ultimately was causing so many of the studs to fall out. Like I have posted before, I sent them back and they replaced them for free with the improved 1100s and I have only lost 1 stud to date....maybe 3 months worth of time.

To tell the truth, I didn't throw them out. Stopped using the strapped ones - K5000? and went back to the lace-up's I had from a few years earlier. Why, more studs on the lace-ups to begin with - count em. After skating down the slope of a rock and falling on my ass I went back to the "more studs is better" approach. I've removed some studs that were not straight up and down and drilled/installed more/new ones. Haven't fallen on said rock since. The lace-ups are more of a pain to put on but I think they're safer. The carbide tips on the K1100 have lasted longer than the K5000 pair - maybe the old ones were better quality. By the way the SOL store carries replacement studs and the removal/install tool for the old style studs.

You didnt read the question.... it asked about K-5000 Korkers, which IMO are horrible, but I abuse my korkers out here in the rocks harder than most. While I am on the subject, I think the modification isnt so good cause the nut/bolt combo turns into ice skates after an outing or two and becomes worse than bare feet, but some do like it. As for other differences between the Korkers there was an extensive batch of 1100s that were made using a sub-par batch of rubber (to soft) that ultimately was causing so many of the studs to fall out. Like I have posted before, I sent them back and they replaced them for free with the improved 1100s and I have only lost 1 stud to date....maybe 3 months worth of time.

Opps your right - didn't see the k5000's.redface.gif

You have a number for korkers. I sent them a few emails stating my k1100 have not held the studs in place and that they don't hold up very well (had a few studs fall out and the studs wore off extremely fastmad.gif ).

I planned on adding more studs in liue of the scews and nuts, but if I could get a replacement sent out they may be a better way to go.