Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oznavad

The Best Surf Bag?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I need another bag. I use a VS single row when I'm near my truck, but I need a "long range", big bag. What do you all like and why?

VS, Surfcaster, Bronco, Canyon?

Pros and Cons for each you have experience with would be helpful.

Thanks

I have both a Bronco and a Canyon bag. The Canyon is the smaller of the two, but I like the Bronco more because of the side compartments and the fact that the bag isn't too snug around the tubes which leaves extra space for stashing odd and ends, leaders and maybe a couple packs of beef jerky icon15.gif Tim sells the Bronco bags here on the site, I got mine from him. You should check 'em out...great bag!

Deluxe Bronco Bag is a favorite among many, including me. I personally think the bigger bronco bag is comical, but you could get a horde of stuff in there, if your back could take all that heavy wood.

JC

I have a Canyon, Surfcaster and a cheap Plano that came with no tubes that I converted into a plug bag.

The Canyon has held up well, the Surfcaster bag is nice, is made very well but the plastic lure carrier compartments are just too darn heavy. I still use it from time to time but with replacement plastic tubes that I put velcro on so they stay together and dont float all over the place.

The Plano bag was $12.00, did the same thing with the tubes and it has tons of space if you need it.

Todd

I have to go with the " Ultimate Surfbag" by Surfcaster.

Why?

 Three interchangeable rows that hold 3 oz bottle plugs to the smallest swimmers,

 10 sewn in folds to hold tins or bucktails

 2 side pockets to hold pork or an extra spool.

 A Velcro pocket in the flap for leaders.

 A full three inch Velcro strip that runs the length of the bag to keep from dumping your treasure when you take a spill.

 Thick web strap

I never leave without it.

i have to aagree with the pirate, it holds and arsenal and is built tough....no complaint yet, it is a bit heavy but it comes with d rings so you can fasten it to your belt.........

Some negatives on the Surfcaster bag, although I think it's the best made bag out there:

the side flap pockets are on the small side

you can only carry 5 large plugs with the standard inserts, and thus are constantly rotating them depending on day/night, moon phase, location, etc (which may not be a bad thing)

lures in the sewn-on folds can get caught on the Velcro front flap and get pulled free, and fall unseen, when you open the flap to change plugs.

But, that's about it. That front flap won't ever come free on its own, and mine is about 4 years old and still looks brand new.

If you like to carry a big assortment of medium to large plugs, the best one for that is the biggest canyon bag. Like the Surfcaster one, it has 3 rows of stepped inserts, but the smallest ones hold a 2-1/2 oz Polaris or a 7" Bomber with room to spare. The larger rows will easily hold doubles. I ran over mine with the Jeep last fall at Moriches, and only cracked one small insert. Plus, the side flap pockets are huge, they will hold a spare reel of Abu 6500 size or a couple of spare spools.

I use the VS medium bag which is my everyday bag. I also have the Surfcaster Ultimate and use that as a back up just in case anything ever happens to th VS bag. The VS bag is in its 4th year and is holding pretty good. Just a little wear spot on one of the edges of the top flap. I like this bag more because the tin pockets are on the inside of the bag so I don't loose any when I pull the top open. Did that many times with my old custom bag I had from North Jersey Canvas. I like the smaller side pockets in the VS bag which I put in 2 cut down to fit golf tubes to hold more plugs. The Surfcaster bag side pockets are large enough to hold a spool .

I would recommend either Bronco or Canyon surf bags...the Surfcaster and VS bags are simply overpriced IMO.

For the past 2 seasons, I have been using mostly the Canyon SB 101. Well made w/ ten 2" square tubes (nearly 8" deep), 2 end pouches, and 5 "Tin" pockets. The one end pouch is large enough for a spare spool w/ room left over for other stuff. The other end pouch holds a nice size multi-compartment tackle box (comes w/ the bag)...replace this w/ a waterproof box like Woodstream's MFS (quarter size)... This bag will hold 25 medium size plugs and a dozen bucktails and tins...I take this bag w/ me on some long treks...

A couple years ago, there was some debate about the Cordura nylon of the Canyon versus the Bronco surf bags. Some thought that the Bronco nylon was tougher...I don't believe this is true...they seem about the same to me.

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 08-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 08-25-2001).]

I own a few bags, both by Canyon and Bronco. Ive had the canyon for a few years now and I love it!! The Bronco bag that i have was just purchased from Tim a few week ago, my first thought when i saw it was...Doesnt look as well made as the Canyon bags, we will see.wink.gif I will bet the Bronco doesnt last as nearly as long as my Canyon...

Also have a problem with the belt loops on the Bronco's, i dont like how big they are very loose if ya ask me. I havnt tried it on yet, but i would think it would hang and slide all around?

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

i would go with medium VS bag if all is equal (which is not of course , there is always a price point where you say "i got to be insane")

Inserts are round which is much better than square , will fit 3 super strike darters in each slot/

Bucktail/tin pouch is on the inside of the bag so you don't pull your lures every time you open the Velcro flap (Ala surfcasters bag)

Side pouches are good for pork rind , not much else

The over flap in the bag that closes over your plugs comes in handy in tipsy place like Montauk.

The quality of material is second to none , only thing missing are belt loops (which i had a shoemaker sew in for me)

my $ 0.02

------------------

Basschaser

Guys,

Great insights, keep em comin. It is the little quirks that are very important. For example, on my small VS bag, no pockets and no belt loops. Bags is all over the place and aside from slipping some leaders behing the tubes, there is no place for anything but lures.