Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starjcb

Shimano Tekota 600 reel

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

You striper fishermen seem to have good taste in fishing tackle . Many of you are fans of the Garcia 7000 C3 as I am . Had plans to buy my 2nd one today but got side track and ended up purchaseing a Shimano Tekota 600 . Looks like it may be a better reel than the 7000s . Paid a $170 for it. That $60 more than I planned to spend . Hope it is worth the extra cost .

Any of you sriper guys have any experiance with this reel ?

Personally no, but everyone on all the other boards that I visit love it. Bass guys, Tuna guys, I'm sure Florida guys too. There's a bunch of info on it, just gotta link, er look.

I've wnted to check the Takota out. Did you look inside? What are the gears made of?

We love the 7000 C-3 becasue of the quality gears inside. Shimano Calcutta's have several plastic gears inside. The won't rust but they get weak and wear down fast. I'd appreciate know what's inside the Takota.

I've sold six of em' and so far everyone loves them. I got one back already for repair. Nothing huge, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if they are as durable down the road as the time tested Ambassadeur. I used the Tekota and really liked it. Lots of power, real smooth. Just speaking for myself, I could not cast it like my C3. When I let my 7000 go, the street lights go dim. I coudn't get that out of the Tekota. Maybe I just ain't used to it yet.

WB - I don't think the reel was designed for surf casting, actually, I'm sure it wasn't. IT's made as an affordable version of a Trinidad, with less BB's, cheaper sideplates - but better freespool and more drag. Seems like the problems with the Trinidad were improved upon and added to this reel, and the cut the price in half.

My B&T guy reccommended the Torium to me. I trust him as he has put me on to other stuff and hasn't been wrong yet. The Torium seems to be the nonlevel wind version. This reel is the smoothest casting reel I've ever tried. It's built like a tank. I have the 20 size which holds 300yds of 25# mono and 400yds of 20#. I love this reel. I'm thinking of buying the Tekota to cast plugs. I own the penn 975 and 975cs as well as the Ambasssador BG 7500CT non levelwind so I have a basis for comparrison.

Ok John . I took this reel apart just for you . The gears for the spool drive are brass , 1/4in. thick , helical , good size gear teeth . Gear ratio is 4.2 to 1 . Level wind worm gear has a brass gear but the gears that drive it and the bait clicker are plastic . The 3 ball bearings are not sealed (easy to clean and lube but also easy to contaminate). The one-way anti-reverse super stopper roller bearing is backed up with an anti-reverse pawl (very strong and excellent feature). Shimanos best 6 disk drag (Dartanium ) whatever that is . I just know it is very smooth . Don't have a scale to test how many lb. of drag I can get out of the Dartaniums . Line capacity is 300yds of 20lb mono . Reel weight is 16oz . Crank handle is 2nd to none .

The Tekota is a well made reel and easy to service and take apart . The bearings give it a very smooth feel BUT it is not a plug and serf caster . There are no spool brakes ! It can never out cast a 7000 C3 ! For light trolling , live bait , and jigging is what the Tekota is designed for . In my opinion it is better than the Garcia 7000s and Penn 320 GTi for this kind of fishing .

I bought this reel to install on a spiral wrap rod I'm building . A 7ft, 60lb live bait Shakespeare rod blank ( the same one they use for their orange tiger rods ). Hope to be able to land a few cobia and amberjack along the Texas gulf coast where I live .

With a little expert thumming, I'm watching the bridge guys cast this thing about 70-80yds. with a 2oz. jig. Pretty impressive for a non-surfcasting reel.

I thought the gear ratio was 6.2:1. And I've read you can get 18#'s of drag off the Torium. THe Ball Bearings, I thinkare Anti-Rust, so they should have some measure of....Anti-rusting. But not anti-sanding.

You guys have seen both the Tekota and the Torium right? Other than being introduced at the same time and having the same gray finish, I don't see what they have in common. The Tekota is definitely not a levelwind Torium. If the Torium looks a lot like a Trinidad, then the Tekota looks like a big Calcutta. If you look at the parts diagrams on Shimano's website, you will see that the Trinidad and the Torium have ton of parts in common. One downside is that if you pick up both the Torium and the Trinidad, the Torium is noticeably heavier.

I don't know how the Torium compares with a Trinidad in performance. All initial reports are good. I think that it will do well compared to a lot of the $120-200 reels out there.

Saw another neat looking reel the other day. Pro Gear CS500. About the size of a Newell 220, but very solid. Exactly what you want from a metal bodied reel. Excellent freespool. Since it is made for casting smaller live bait in the west coast, I suspect that it would do well with 2oz jigs. Raw looking too, with lots of machine marks still on it.