Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJSurf

Disposal of Braid line

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Kurt...chop it up into pieces no longer than a foot, then toss it into the trash. Or, you can put it in a ball outside and hit it briefly with a propane torch to melt it a little. The hazard you are trying to avoid is long strands of braid that can snare and entangle the seagulls (a.k.a. "Dump rats with wings") Good question though! I don't know that I've tossed much of this stuff...I just keep on using it for other things. Makes excellent "thread" for tough repairs of canvas or other tough material. I use it to rig eels. I use old braid to back out other spools when they get a little low. There's probably a bunch of other uses for super thin, super strong lines like old braid!

TimS

I don't know of any way this line can be recycled. But, if you want to prevent the possibility of anything tangling in it after you've disposed of it, you could consider wrapping it around your hand until you've got it all "wadded up" and then you could just hack it in "half" with a pair of very sharp scissors, leaving a whole bunch of pieces several inches in length. You could also melt it.

I usually keep rolling it up around a dowel. I used it to sew some old wading shoes and to tie up carboard bundles for recycling when I was out of bucher chord.

--Geof

put it on a old spool and use it to sew up leather goodies for pliers bic lighter ,pouches etc , or for nylon webbing for maglites or pliers or faverite buck knife,stuff is way better than the overgrown dental floss ye get at the army navy and threads thru easier.... my 2 cents. oooops

almost forgot makes great peta poeple trapping nets !!!!!