All the rain and the gardens

Rate this topic

I had two bean plants of an entire double row I planted come up after the big a rains a coupla weeks ago. I replanted the row and a second double row before these rains thinking it would be just a few days of showers. I don't know how much rain we got but it rained hard here in SE connecticut for a long time.

Was out this morning before work. Everything except the lettuce looks fine. I'm going to need to go out tonight and thin it out and remove some rotting plants thanks to all this rain. mad.gif

25" of rain since May 10th. Over 900 tomato plants in the ground. Over a quarter acre of garlic in the ground. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. And more rain is coming. I actually feel a little bit sick.frown.gif

"One thing is clear: The Founding Fathers never intended a nation where citizens pay nearly half of everything they earn to government"- Ron Paul, 7/17/01

25" of rain since May 10th. Over 900 tomato plants in the ground. Over a quarter acre of garlic in the ground. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

icon25.gif Damn!!! that makes my little garden look like a flower box!!!

Jeff,

To me, my tomatoes seem to be doing ok with this rain. What should I be looking for besides rot???

icon25.gif Damn!!! that makes my little garden look like a flower box!!!

Jeff,

To me, my tomatoes seem to be doing ok with this rain. What should I be looking for besides rot???

Early blight.....it effects the leaves, and is caused by cool, damp conditions in the spring.

Once it dries out a bit, spraying the foilage with a mix of water and baking soda might be a good precaution to help prevent it. Try to do it in the early morning.

If this were to happen later in the season, it could effect fruit set on the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, but the plants are small enough now that the current rains shouldn't cause that problem.

Being up on a hill, my garden isn't too effected by the heavy rain (as in being a swamp), as it drains well. The only downside I see is that I can't get out and finish up some of the chores I need to do before I go away next Friday for two weeks....

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I dont know how many tomatoe plant syou have but I use the black weed fabric between my plants( 6). Its not totaly weed free but it keeps them at bay til I can get in there. Mine Tom's are doing very well.

The best part of trashing plugs is making more.

capequahog,

Newspaper works for me. You should try it. After weeding your garden, put about 5 layers of newspaper in your garden, in a few months it will desintigrade and by that time, cold weather is around the corner.

Ah, another thing... newspaper its good for the soil.

To answer the garden question, mine its doing just fine, they just need a lot of sun. I notice the lack of sun has stop my tomatoes and green peppers from growing normal.

Gee, my plants seem better than fine -- downright prosperous. icon14.gif

Thanks to all the rain the grass has grown enough that I have almost covered the garden with grass clippings. Next cut I'll start on the second layer.

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."