Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skitter

Theories, Thoughts, and Speculations: Outer Beaches

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Why is it so dead?

I know seals are a factor but it must be more.....

Bait? Weather? Seals? Climate changes? My breath?

After seeing all Terry`s post / Riptide; it makes you wonder then wonder some more.

Ignore or have at it 40.gif

Yes.... this was the best and most insightful perspective 40.gif

Same reasons now as last year? I`m living off of fabled times and stories redface.gif

Thanks again Mr. F

Karl F: 3/06

if a plover craps on my truck, is that an "endangered feces", and am I allowed to wash it off?

my take on yer question:

the erosion has eliminated a lot of the depth off the backside, silted in, a lot of bait is gone, seals like to come in close, mung, etc.

Also, a lot of bait 1/2 to 3 miles off shore, sand eels, squid, etc. a lot in the lobster pot lines (who loves lobster more than Mr. and Mrs. Stripes? sharks, and other big fish, tuna, etc.

the bass hang there and eat too, just ask the boat fishermen on the cape, ya don't hear them griping...

think about it, why would they leave an all you can eat buffet, to run into shallow water, without much forage, and run the risk of the water rat (seals) eating you?.... JMHO

same, been feeling that way for a few years, just based on my own observations. I can only go by what I see and experience.. cracks me up to go to listen to experts speak (I've sat thru more than one "seal talk", and lord knows how many plover talks...enuf so I know it ain't about the damn birds, coyote talks too, but that is another story).. they say seals will not target bass unless they are dead or dying..... come fishing with me.... and bring open eyes....funny too, watch the bird folks when they make their visit, it speaks volumes...cwm13.gif ...

Seals. Plain and simple! Can't tell me otherwise....I have seen it grow worse over the past few years. Got my beach sticker last week and am wondering if I should have bothered! Last season was so lame I barely went down the Cape at all....even in the fall!mad.gif

Past Sunday am .... Race....

Gannets diving on small sea herring or sand eels too far out in the color change....

Twice in close...twenty feet or so.... seal was parading his keeper Striper like a dog showing off his bone...coudn`t buy a hit redface.gif

Were you there Sunday PM?

If not you, (and I) shoulda been there...

I hate when them sea rats show off, they are real ballbusters with that act...

No...wish I was from implied...only get out when a friend hauls my fat butt out there...only been getting out and about since May as it is.

Next time wink.gif

In the four or five trips i've made to the outer beaches I haven't seen bait yet! Combine that with favorite runs being closed and the seals, the outer beaches have not been worth the effort, that's not saying that there are no fish around, just that the fishing on the backbeaches is disappointing right now...

Although I don't fish the on the beaches I do fish along them. If I were a surf caster I'd have been ALL OVER RACE POINT, Wood End and down along the north end of the back beaches this past week or so. TONS of bait and TONS of big fish in close.

JMHO, we've had more NE and N winds than we have had SW winds this year. It's keeping the bait tight to the north facing beaches and likely blowing it away from the south facing shores.

Hope this helps

who says the outer beaches are dead? biggrin.gif a week ago, under cover of the dark and not a soul in sight, i was standing in the suds (at a spot to be NOT burned later), and when i flashed my light on, there were thousands of herring (yes, large herring), silversides, and various other tasty morsels living in perfect harmony, except for the LARGE crashign the bait. occasionally, they even diverted from those treats to help themselves to my collection of wildeyes drool.gif. there are still some secrets. this has been one of the best startsin years, if you are in the right place.