Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hetley

Any ides on rod rack for inside a pick up truck

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

First of all how has everybody been doing? well my question is I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 and want a rod rack for inside the bed. I found a couple new, but to hold 6 or more rods its over 400 dollars. Any body got any ideas on how to make one, or know where i could get one from.

Hmm, well I had thought about this in the past as well. I thought of picking up the basic Berkely Rod/Reel holder and just mounting a pair on each side of the bed. The challenge is how to mount the holders without screwing through the outside sheetmetal. Just a matter of being careful where you drill to mount them. The next challenge is how to get the rods to stay in the holders while driving. And to that I had found a set of velcro ties while in HD one evening. So, in concept I think it would work... Reality may be different! wink.gifconfused.gif

Hartley; i have a dodge 1500 ram and a CAP .

there have 2" bolts coming thought the roof i existent the bolts and two 1" Aluminum pipe going the short way .

tie 2" plastic pipe front and back[2" wide] the front set i cut out 1" of the 2" plastic pipe

.so u can put the rod in . u are limited to the size of rod . 2 piece.rods ok

it work for me

tell ya what, im wondering the same thing except i have a dakota not a 1500..

im going to keep an eye on this one smile.gif

those surfcaster license plate holder thing's that hold the rod rack look perfect but my biggest problem is that i have a plastic bumper. might work for you though hartley! nice easy assembley. replace old LP holder and replace with this one. 2 or 4 piece rod rack fits into LP holder..

I use a milk crate that I zip tied 5 12" lengths of PVC into. It can be used stand up style or bolt it to the floor or cap roof on its side and use a bungee for the rod tips. Works great and carries my surfbag, waders too.

Hetley,

Here's an idea for you. This is a rack that I made to fit in the bed of my Chevy Colorado. It's made from 2" shd 40 PVC.

As you can see, the front of the truck is pretty busy, so I opted for something that will slip in and out of the bed quickly.

DSCN0853.jpg

I first measured and laid it out.

DSCN0861.jpg

Then test fitted it before glueing anything.

DSCN0862.jpg

After I was happy with the fit, I glued it up, and painted with Duplicolor aerosol bed coating.

DSCN0877.jpg

Another angle.

DSCN0876.jpg

I can slip it in and out in just a few seconds. The uprights toward the front fit between the toolbox and the front of the bed, and keep it from going anywhere without having to actually attach it.

I've got about $50 in materials, and 2 afternoon's effort in it. smile.gif

Duane S

O have a 07 tundra which has threaded fittings for the utility rack system on the sides of the bed. I took some pressure treated 2x4 and added 4 2ft pvc sections (2 on each side) to the 2x4s at @ 60 degree angle. Spray painted them in black textured finish and bolted them on. Perfectsmile.gif. They look like boat rocket launchers. I had the wood & pvc and all I bought was 4 10mm bolts and a can of spraypaint. @ 8 bucks total. I spent enough on the truckwink.gif

View PostDuane, that's very cool.

What are those rubber-looking thing-a-ma-boobs you used for end caps?

Thank you. I think they are called "do-hickeys". wink.gif

They are soft rubber reducer couplings, used for connecting 2" waste pipe to 1 1/2" waste pipe.

DSCN0878.jpg

They come with 2 stainless steel clamps, which I am not using (for now anyway), because its a snug fit.

I punched notches / retainers in them like this:

DSCN0879.jpg

Using a home made punch. I made mine from a 1/2" EMT coupling, like this:

DSCN0880.jpg

This makes about a 3/4" retaining hole, to protect the reel, and keep it from turning.

Here's another view, from the side. I chose to use a 70 degree angle, because 60 degrees seemed to use too much bed space.

DSCN0875.jpg

Duane S

Duane... nice job. My only concern would be height. A 10' rod is gonna be about 15' off the ground. Gotta watch the low hanging branches, wires, etc.

Maybe angling them more towards the tailgate?

Chris

I had a pickup last year and i used a rectangle board pollyed to preserve wood. I screwed rod holder tubes to the board. Then on the back side of board I threw-bolted long flat steel rods to the board and made curves at the top to hang on the back of the bed, behind the rear window! Worked real, real nice!!!! Works only if you don't have a tool box.

View PostDuane... nice job. My only concern would be height. A 10' rod is gonna be about 15' off the ground. Gotta watch the low hanging branches, wires, etc.

Maybe angling them more towards the tailgate?

Chris

Hey Chris,

I agree, height is something we need to keep in mind. During my test-fitting phase, at a 70 degree angle, I determined that my 11 footer's tip would be 12' 8" above the ground. I was wrong. After finishing it, I measured, and it was 12' 7 1/2" above the ground.

Yeah, I still have to watch out for low branches though. Fortunately, there are not many low branches on the Outer Banks. wink.gif

Duane S