Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishaholic18

Best all around blank

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

What do you guys like?

I am trying to decide which blank to build for myself to throw mostly plugs from Bombers to Poppers, want to go with a Lami.

I'm thinking 1201M or 1201L.

Will be built spin. Tried a 1205 but action seems too slow action to me, what do you think? Help me decide.

Thanks

I would probably go with the 1201L. I have the M and I don't like it for poppers, especially pencils and bombers. I normally go with my 1321L for poppers and bmbers. The M is great for bucktails and heavy wind days though. JMO, I'm sure others will chime in.

Tony

Both very fine blanks. If you could run to both of them you would be very well set up. If you want to work Pencil Popperts a lot then the L version will do a better job than the M. The post above is pretty much on the nail.

I would say the Lami Arras are worth the extra money.

My choice would be the XRA 1205

longer the XRA 1322

after that , for lighter stuff , 120 1L. I think if you are considering a 120 1M , you should get the XRA 1205.

Sorry forgot to add that you may want to consider not going to std sized spinning guides especially on the L version. You don't really need massive so called collector guides or running guides for that matter. They will deaden the feel of your blank, make it heavier to handle and they won't enable you to cast any further into the bad bargain. Have a think about kicking off with a size 30 max Butt guide. Ok my suggestion would be

30 25 20 16 12 10 10 Tip top a 10 or a 12,

You could substitute size 12 for the size 10's but I would not personally. Some may see this as extreeme but it wil work very well and you may just want to consider it. Will work with a conventional to if you ever wish to play around with one.

My own rods sport a size 25 Butt guide but I can see the lynch mob approaching already.

Mike, I'm building an L as we speak, that was cut approx 6" off the butt. I am laying out the guides now. I am starting with a 30 and was thinking of ending up with 8's. with luck I hope to finish laying out and test cast this week. I'll post what I end up with.

Tony

Tony, I would be very interested in how your L turns out. It sounds like you are going the Concept method with your guide layout. I was a little scared of talking size 8 even though that is the size of my last running guide on my 11 foot Zziplex light Bass. The small guides which caused much amusement on the point at "M" did not prevent me from casting as far, or even further as most of the guys in the line up.

What reel are you going to use. Your rod is going to feel so much sweeter because you are going small and trust me you will cast just as far as with the traditional guide set up.

Mike, I decided to go with BMNAG' s for thr butt guide and the next one then change over to BYAG's the rest of the way out. The reel I'm gonna use is a Nautil 6500. Hopefully the 8's pan out if not I'll switch to 10's. I'll let you know how they work out.

Tony