Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonesy

Munch, munch, munch

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Anyone esle in the path of the caterpillar invasion? the bottom 1/4 of my trees are gone, evertything is covered in droppings that look like grey sand, inch worms everywhwere. if you stand under the trees you can actually hear the munching. I anticipate complete defoliation before the end of June.

too bad them little buggers don't eat grass. I cut the lawn on thursday and it is in need of cutting againmad.gif I guess I could just scalp it.....my wife wouldn't be too pleased though.

Less raking if the fall equals more fishing time. Let 'em eat all my leaves.

Unfortunately wink.gif I think your leaves will grow back within a couple of weeks....

Been hosing the car down every day to get all those droppings off.

Pollen set in this AM at the BSP, heavy in places, eyes all irritated, nose a runnin' , and the throat a scratchin'.

But all these woes seem to go away when I hook a momma.

JoE g

too bad them little buggers don't eat grass.

That is a damn shame biggrin.gif

Winter moths are wreaking havoc.... the mongol horde cwm31.gif

It has been very very bad in my neighborhood for several years now but this year is definitely the worst. I have a lot of red oaks in my yard which is all trees and most of the oaks are completely stripped clean. This is the third year in a row and am now fearing a dye off. I broke down and called a company to spray the trees but it was too late by the time they did but at least the catapillers are dead and not going to be cocooning the whole darn yard like last year. It was like a creature feature movie with cobwebs on everything last week. We have several varieties of catapillars not just winter moths. The droppings are fertilizing the grass and the grass is getting more sun so the grass is definitely growing more and faster. The only real benefit I have seen is lack of acorns which can be a real PIA in the fall but it also means the trees are STRESSED.

Denuded and dying frown.gif I rent a house so don`t spray but winter spraying helps ....males have wings and females don`t. Base of trees lay poison pellets to kill winter moth grubs as well.

Jonesy - My brother is down on cape and has had the problem the past couple years. He is spraying a little and then making one wrap of duct tape around the trunk and laying on vaseline. The bugs come down but cant get back up. Seems to be working ok.

More time in the fall to fish.

t

PS. stopped by the raven in waltham not bad but not costellos.

I was actually thinking of doing that, seemed to help during the gypsy moth invasion 20 years ago. i remember going around torching their huge nests with gasoline, prolly skip that this time smile.gif

there will never be another Costello's frown.gif

we've been hitting a dive on Prospect St that doesn't mind if you bring in a sub from carls up the street. $2 bud light bottles and keno baby! same crowd as costies.