Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurpelNoon

Best Option for Reel Holders on a Rod Rack

11 posts in this topic

I just purchased an aluminum rod rack holder for the front of my truck. The reel "grippers" are made of pretty hard plastic which looks like they may scratch the heck out of the reels and not provide shock protection while driving.

The diameter of the aluminum tubes is just short of 2 inches. I think the Surfcaster reel grabbers would be perfect except that the holes are too small to easily remove and insert large surf rods. Someone mentioned rubber pipe reducers as an option. Anyone have any suggestions?smile.gif Thanks!

Keep in mind that those smaller openings are there to keep your rods where they belong when you hit a bump. If you have to have them more easily accessible, just trim the inside ears back, a little at a time until you get them just where you want them.

Just my .02, of course!

I used the Rubber connectors from Home depot,with the two hose clamps.

i think they are 2" id X 1 1/2". I only use them when on the beach,never had a problem.

Purplenoon,

I use bulk auto radiator hose which can be purchased at local auto parts stores. If you can bring a sample of the size that your tubing is and pick a size that is tight or as has been suggested and use clamps to secure it. Ypu can also cut slots in the top of them for your spinning rods to keep them from turning in the tube.

Good luck,

Stripped Gear aka Bobsmile.gifsmile.gif

I used the Rubber connectors from Home depot,with the two hose clamps.

i think they are 2" id X 1 1/2". I only use them when on the beach,never had a problem.

these will work- i think they're called fernco's.

I use bulk auto radiator hose which can be purchased at local auto parts stores. If you can bring a sample of the size that your tubing is and pick a size that is tight or as has been suggested and use clamps to secure it. Ypu can also cut slots in the top of them for your spinning rods to keep them from turning in the tube.

This is what I have on my cooler rack and it works fine. The hose pieces are a pretty tight fit in the tubes as they are, but they are also glued on wih a product called "GOOP" as recommended by the builder of the cooler rack.

Keep in mind that those smaller openings are there to keep your rods where they belong when you hit a bump.

Don't think rods bouncing out of the holders is really an issue. I've never had one even come close to escaping, but then my rods are very well behaved.rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice! I did get a few of the Fernco pipe couplings. The ones I got are sonstant diameter throughout because i could not find the right size in the one with one end a smaller diameter but all still worked fine. I just tightened the bottom clamp and took the other one off. I carefuly cut a 1/2" off the top and so far so good!smile.gif

I have used the ones from The SurfCaster with a slight mod.

I took a sharp utility knife and enlarged the hole to fit the butt caps on my largest rod. Very pleased with the result.

- ATG

Another vote for the utility knife and the surf caster tops biggrin.gif . Got em on my rack and love em. Keep both spinning and conventional nice and stable. No rocking around. My rack is an 8 pole across the front, staggered height, w/ no cooler. The four towards the middle I cut less and even left one as is for smaller pluggin bucktail rods. The outer ones were cut way open to allow for my thickest sticks.

Return the 1 1/2" Fernco drain pipe reducers and purchase the 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" size. I can't post a photo at this time, but here is how I modify them:

• Stick a piece of wood inside of the 1 1/4" end.

• Using a punch and hammer, put a hole just above the area where the drain pipe reducer sizes down. Be sure to punch it hard so that you create a clean hole.

• Now, with the wood still inserted, line your razor knife between the top center of the hole and the edge of the reducer and press down firmly.

• If done correctly, your reel stem should sit in the hole and the ears you have created with the razor knife will close on top of it.
Chances are, your entire spinning outfit will never completely bounce out of the rod holder if you don't create a slot of some sort, however, performing such a modification as described above is great for holding your rod/reel in a fixed position. Fernco drain pipe reducers may not look as pretty as the Surfcasters caps, but they sure as heck will remain pliable in cold weather.

Last, the 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" size is cosmetically nice because all of your caps will sit evenly across the top of the aluminum rod holders. Also, this size will provide protection from possibly "chafing" cork tape (etc) on the "butt end" of a rod when it is placed in the holder; reason is the reduction in size actually acts as an internal cap over the top of the aluminum tube.

Or...there is always the option of keeping what you've got and just going fishing redface.gif

Whatever you choose, good luck icon14.gif

Jimmy