Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishdoor

Jigging in the suds

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have wanted to spend a bit more time jigging, but every time I go to buy rubber I am paralyzed by all the colors available. I currently have white Fin-S and white Storm's. I yet to have a hit on either, but that probably has more to do with the water temperature when I fished them. Could anybody suggest a few colors and when to fish them? A refresher on imparting the correct action would also be helpful.

TIA.

For fishing NJ's beaches with jigs, I prefer colors that offer good contrast with the sand - the albino (white) ones you presently have offer pretty decent contrast. Other colors I like as far as rubber and NJ's beaches - chartruese, alewife (dark blue over pearl), black, pink, and arkansas shiner (olive over pearl). More importantly, in my opinion, is when to fish them. In general, I'll do best with jigs when it's too rough to comfortable fish a plug...or when the fish are busting through bait and I want to be below them to find the bigger bass instead of the smaller bass and razor lipped bastages wink.gif The key to fishing jigs in NJ on the beach is sweep...you want a good current to pull, push and drag your jig around. I rarely hop my jigs on our local beaches...if I can hop it, it's either a little too heavy or a little too calm for jigs. If your jig is landing in the sand with a thud and never leaving the sand on the retrieve, it's either too heavy or too calm...try a lighter jig. You want to use the current to sweep your jig into and through the water where you suspect the fish should be - figure out which way the water is moving and position yourself so that you are upcurrent of the spot you want to fish. Throw your jig at a slight angle towards the water upcurrent from the fish...get tight to it and let the water and waves bring your jig to the fish while you retrieve just fast enough to keep your jig from laying in the dirt smile.gif If you have to go too fast, the jig is too heavy or the water too calm.

For bucktails it's generally white...sometimes black at night....sometimes black during the day and white at night...I like to experiment with colors and often the fish will prove to me that there's mostly no rhyme or reason as to why they prefer one color over another. I always fish some trailer on bucktails in the surf, either rubber or pork. The longer the trailer, the more distance you'll sacrified on the cast but the slower the jig will sink. It's a balance that you'll have to figure out based on distance, depth and the current's strength. When you get it right, you'll be casting beyond where you think the fish are holding and the jig will slide or swim into the fish holding water at a slow, steady retrieve....and when you get it all just right and get it to swing in front of a critter waiting on the edge of the bar/point/hole, it's gonna get thumped icon14.gif Keep your hooks sharp...check them constantly, sand and/or rocks will dull a hook quickly. A sharp hook will get a grip on the fish just from the belly/drag in your line and that'll buy you an extra 1/2 second or so to set up smile.gif A dull hook is nuttin' but bad and will always cost you fish.

In general for NJ beaches, I like 3/4oz to 3oz Smilin' Bill jigs with the 2oz to 3oz jigs only getting wet when the water looks better for clamming than for plugging smile.gif Ball jigs I like 3/8oz to 1oz...if I need more than 1oz on our sand, I'd prefer a Smilin' Bill. The calmer and cleaner the water, the more chance they'll take a small ball jig and Fin-S-Fish worked slowly with the current than a bucktail...but in water that calm, plugs would still often be a better bet.

Hope this helps...if yah have any specific questions, feel free to add them and I'll try to address them for yah...or anyone else that has a question smile.gif

TimS

For fishing NJ's beaches with jigs, I prefer colors that offer good contrast with the sand - the albino (white) ones you presently have offer pretty decent contrast. Other colors I like as far as rubber and NJ's beaches - chartruese, alewife (dark blue over pearl), black, pink, and arkansas shiner (olive over pearl). More importantly, in my opinion, is when to fish them. In general, I'll do best with jigs when it's too rough to comfortable fish a plug...or when the fish are busting through bait and I want to be below them to find the bigger bass instead of the smaller bass and razor lipped bastages wink.gif The key to fishing jigs in NJ on the beach is sweep...you want a good current to pull, push and drag your jig around. I rarely hop my jigs on our local beaches...if I can hop it, it's either a little too heavy or a little too calm for jigs. If your jig is landing in the sand with a thud and never leaving the sand on the retrieve, it's either too heavy or too calm...try a lighter jig. You want to use the current to sweep your jig into and through the water where you suspect the fish should be - figure out which way the water is moving and position yourself so that you are upcurrent of the spot you want to fish. Throw your jig at a slight angle towards the water upcurrent from the fish...get tight to it and let the water and waves bring your jig to the fish while you retrieve just fast enough to keep your jig from laying in the dirt smile.gif If you have to go too fast, the jig is too heavy or the water too calm.

For bucktails it's generally white...sometimes black at night....sometimes black during the day and white at night...I like to experiment with colors and often the fish will prove to me that there's mostly no rhyme or reason as to why they prefer one color over another. I always fish some trailer on bucktails in the surf, either rubber or pork. The longer the trailer, the more distance you'll sacrified on the cast but the slower the jig will sink. It's a balance that you'll have to figure out based on distance, depth and the current's strength. When you get it right, you'll be casting beyond where you think the fish are holding and the jig will slide or swim into the fish holding water at a slow, steady retrieve....and when you get it all just right and get it to swing in front of a critter waiting on the edge of the bar/point/hole, it's gonna get thumped icon14.gif Keep your hooks sharp...check them constantly, sand and/or rocks will dull a hook quickly. A sharp hook will get a grip on the fish just from the belly/drag in your line and that'll buy you an extra 1/2 second or so to set up smile.gif A dull hook is nuttin' but bad and will always cost you fish.

In general for NJ beaches, I like 3/4oz to 3oz Smilin' Bill jigs with the 2oz to 3oz jigs only getting wet when the water looks better for clamming than for plugging smile.gif Ball jigs I like 3/8oz to 1oz...if I need more than 1oz on our sand, I'd prefer a Smilin' Bill. The calmer and cleaner the water, the more chance they'll take a small ball jig and Fin-S-Fish worked slowly with the current than a bucktail...but in water that calm, plugs would still often be a better bet.

Hope this helps...if yah have any specific questions, feel free to add them and I'll try to address them for yah...or anyone else that has a question smile.gif

TimS

Good post man!

Nice post TimS. You should get out and fish more during the day, it's seems to have rejuvenated you wink.gif

Nice post TimS. You should get out and fish more during the day, it's seems to have rejuvenated you wink.gif

Photosynthesis? icon25.gif I know the sun makes my hair grow really fast wink.gif

TimS

Great post Tim, it answers why you are "supposed" to use the lightest jig possible. I was always under the impression that the proper way to fish them was to bounce them off the bottom redface.gif

Now available in the online store the TimS Chia-pet doll.Cha-cha-cha-Chia.Just add photosynthesis......I have bucktailed with Tim one of the few times we fished together.the man knows what he's doin.He will experiment with weights an different trailer combo's its all part of the fun. Of course u gotta load up like a pack mule.