Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

Emergency fish hook cutting Pliers

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I just bought 3 pair of 5 inch super Manleys for my sons and myself. I cut some treble hooks ( to destroy them) and my Manley is ruined. It worked great for cutting mono and soft wire, but these treble hooks ruined it. I then tried a pair of "Channel Lock" side cutters (I had an old pair that had a hole burned in them because I cut a hot wire, dumbfrown.gif ) and it cut the same hook with no problem. A good pair of side cutters ought to handle most of the salmon gear I use. Don't know about halibut hooks yet.

Just talked to Manley, they said they are not meant to cut hooks.

Two is one and one is none!

I have a pair of small BOLT cutters, I bought at homies. the can cut any hook I use, even larger (as I tested them).

I soak them in CRC, wrap in a small red mechanics towel and store in a ziplock bag. I too, have the leverage of 2' extended pipes, but will upgrade mine to rigid conduit. Mine could crumple under too much pressure.

Two is one and one is none.

- ATG

A quality pair of Linesman pliers is the ticket. Most dikes, side cutters are not meant for cutting harder material other than copper, etc... They might work but you'll trash them.. I had a guy on the dock with a big nasty hook through his hand...Dikes wouldn't do it... I went to the truck, got my Snap-On linesmans and cut it like butter. They are going on 17 years oldcwm31.gif, did I just say that??cwm27.gif and they still cut like new. Plus they got the jaws for other purposes.

View PostI haven't had great success with storing standard hw store stuff on the boat. They just seem to rust up way too fast. Maybe if you're better than me at keeping salt off them and storing them well oiled and wrapped they'd last a couple of seasons, but IMO you'd be better off with something meant for the saltwater environment.

My solution to this problem for tools and stuff like spare spark plugs, and other infrequently used items was to vacuum pack them. They are protected against the salt and moisture. You can even repack it in the same bag later, if you make the bag big enough at the start to allow for resealing the edge of the bag. I had 10 yr old plugs (from an older outboard) on my boat that looked brand new. You can use the money you save to buy other stuff, like frequently use tools.

I'm all about the bolt cutters. The issue that I have with the pliers is if you are cutting a heavier hook, you really have to press down on the handles which puts pressure on the hook. Bolt cutters just breeze thru with little pressure

Besides the bolt cutter/Manleys, keep a clean "cork" aboard as well. A cork from a wine bottle will do. If the hook is embedded under the skin, place the cork against the skin so you have something to push the hook against to get the point and barb through so you can cut it off. If you try to do that with out the cork, the skin will stretch alot and it will hurt alike a bast***.

(it will still hurt using the cork, but way less).

Capt. Rick

Happened to me twice in 3 years frown.gif .

The last time was 2 months ago.

Early this year I bought a pair of Shimano side cutters and a fishing show for $5. They are SS and to date have no signs of rust. icon14.gif

I had to push the bard out through the skin crying.gif , then snipped the barb off. Was able to get right back to fishing after a few choice words.

View PostMy solution to this problem for tools and stuff like spare spark plugs, and other infrequently used items was to vacuum pack them.

I have been doing this with emergency clothes and matches and stuff. How the heck this never dawned on my is kind of odd!redface.gifcwm27.gif

Definitely a fantasstic idea for a tool that will be used on a patient.

View PostI'm all about the bolt cutters. The issue that I have with the pliers is if you are cutting a heavier hook, you really have to press down on the handles which puts pressure on the hook. Bolt cutters just breeze thru with little pressure

Bolt cutters are far more comfortable for the patient.

Wiggling a hook around in a pair of pliers or cutters is extremely uncomfortable.