Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

Emergency fish hook cutting Pliers

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Not that I want to think of this happening, and it hasn't in all the years I've been out on the water. I'm looking for a suggestion for a pair of pliers that could cut through a hook in case I had to get it out of someones finger or hand in an emergency situation. Would a strong pair from a local hardware store work? I guess I'd have to test them out on my hooks at home to know for sure. I wasn't sure if there is a pair that every boater should have. I primarily would be using lead heads up to 4oz, and fluke hooks, trebble hooks you find on bombers, maybe some diamond jigs up to the 47 size. Some times bait holder hooks for chunking blues. Nothing too large. I don't mess with the off shore stuff. I was just curious as to what people would suggest before I buy something.

Thanks a lot,

Jay

heck with the pliers. have a pair on hand, sure, but get yourself a nice pair of thick wire cutters... they don't take up much room and if you have to use them even once, it's worth it.

i was damn glad my friend had a pair in his boat once.redface.gif he just grabbed the pliers and ran it through and out another hole with the pliers and then grabbed the wire cutters and whacked off the barb and pulled it out. quick. painless. ok, so maybe not painless. but quick and convenient and beats the hell out of someone trying to cut through the hook hanging out of the meat in my forearm with a pair of pliers that wasn't really made for cutting wire....

every boat should have a toolbox on it anyways, so just throw the tools in there.

I haven't had great success with storing standard hw store stuff on the boat. They just seem to rust up way too fast. Maybe if you're better than me at keeping salt off them and storing them well oiled and wrapped they'd last a couple of seasons, but IMO you'd be better off with something meant for the saltwater environment.

In terms of what you need, a lot depends on the hooks you use. I conducted an on-the-water experiment last Fall by embedding a 6/0 Gami circle hook in my index finger.frown.gif When I couldn't back it out and couldn't cut it with either of the cutters I had aboard, my client generously drove me to the emergency room where the doctor cut it with a titanium cutter as long as my arm.cwm31.gif And despite all that leverage, he had a hard time cutting it. So if you're gonna carry one onboard, make sure it's sized for the biggest hardest hooks you expect to use, since that's the one that'll eventually find its way into someone's hand.

I have kept a pair of Sears lineman cutters in a Ziploc bag for the last three seasons. I do take them out once in a while to clean it with WD40. They cust a 9/0 Gami Octopus hook with no problem. However, tuna and/or shark hooks would just laugh at them.

I was thinking of super strong wire cutters, like the ones Channel Locks makes. I think they have a light blue handle. I shouldn't have wrote pliers. Sorry for any confusion.

Small pair of bolt cutters, you want to be able to cut the biggest hook you have, I've been offshore & had to pass them over to another boat before. Full first aid kit too.

I can't believe people with boats don't have a good pair of side cutters in the toolbox.Toolbox what toolbox??? If you need more leverage just slide a couple of pipe fittings(long pipe nipples) over the handles. Now your going to ask why i have long pipe nipples on the boat? If your going to have a boat and fish offshore you need to get your sh*t together and be ready for when just about anything hits the fan. ITS ONLY YOUR LIFEcwm31.gif One of these days i'll take & post some pictures of whats on my boat in the way of spares and fix-it stuff.

After it happened to me on the beach with no pliers in the truck and needed to find someone to help, I went out the next day and bought a pair of Manley pliers for about $35.00. Works good on large trebles and is small enough to put in the surf bag or tackle box.

My tool box is one of those water tight boxes. oil everything up and only open when an emergency occurs. I keep a pair of bolt cutters on the boat that goes offshore. For inshore bass fishing most dykes will cut what your using.

Stay safe

Big pair of diagonal cutters. Coat them in vasoline and store in a ziplok bag, unless you are fishing big and need them on your belt to cut yourself free should you be pulled overboard.