Cabelas and BPS reels

Rate this topic

Phil

Both Cabelas and BPS offer their own reels for sale. I am fairly certain that neither company makes the reels, but they rather have them made by a well known company and then stick their own label on it. Does anyone know which company makes the reels for them? I've noticed that some of the Cabelas reels look a lot like Shimano's. Are they in fact one and the same at a cheaper price?

Second question, what is the best mail order place to order saltwater plugs like the infamous "schoolbus" bomber and things like mambo minnows that so many of you regulars rave about?

Have a great New Year everyone.

Phil,

I don't know about the reels but I feel buying like that is false economy, in all probibility they are Korean knockoffs that won't last. Good quality reels are out there at reasonable prices and it makes no sense not to use them. I feel the same way about the plugs, if you live in Jersey you aren't too far from a tackle shop that sells Bombers for a fair price (shop around the prices vary widely) and these are the same guys that will stick a new tip on your rod during a blitz or let you dig around for the size eels you want and the many other services they can offer you, does saving 50 cents on a plug from a giant like BPS seem like a good idea when a small business (not unlike the one Tim has going now) has so many other qualities to offer.

Good advice from Steve S., Phil. I'll definitely second those thoughts.

As to the reel sources, it's very unlikely that it's any single source for either of those outfits. Things are "knocked off" so mercilessly these days that they could be - and probably are - coming from just about anywhere. Even the recognizable names are (at least on some occasions) something less than available from your local sources. Nick Myers, the godfather of Breakaway USA, let it be known recently that the Breakaway rods featured in Cabela's salt water catalog are not identical to standard factory edition models. At Cabela's direction, guide and reel seats were down-spec'd (read: cheapened) and the actions were dictated to be softer than the standard models.

So.......... even when you see a label you're sure you recognize, you've still got to tread a bit carefully.