Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergio

Can someone comment about the ABU 7500C3?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am interested mainly in knowing if the multistop antireverse is reliable when fishing the reel hard with lures.

Any other comments on this reel will be also appreciated.

Thanks

Sergio

Sergio, sorry to tag a ride on your post but I'm looking at that reel also. If anyone can compare the 7500 C3 with the 9000 J-speed I'd like to hear it too.

Dan

Hi Dan... Do you mean the 9000CL J-Speed?. I was sometime ago thinkin in one of the J-Speed reels to use it for roosters. (32" per turn if memory serves me right?).

The 7500C3 recovers 28" per turn and speed is important to me, but it seems that the reel is not suited to cast 3 - 4 oz hard plastic lures 100 yds away, like the 7500C3 and the Penn 975 can.

Can you please comment on this reel?

Thanks

Sergio

Sergio, you're absolutely right. My apologies for first tagging along on your question and then being unclear. I'm looking for boat reel at the moment, not a casting reel. The 9000CL J-speed is a heavier-duty reel than the 7500 C3 but does not seem suited for casting, I hope someone might compare then. I'm looking at both along with the Penn 975. For a general-purpose boat reel.

Sergio, I own Abu's Ambassaduer 7500C3 as well as the 7500CT Big Game (non-level wind) reels...

The 7500C3 is a solid reel and holds a lot of line...in mono its something like 225 yards of 25#... It's not a high speed reel per se, but its gear ratio of 5.3:1 I would think would be plenty for most lure retrieving applications...but perhaps this is not enough for those Rooster Fish. Line retrieve is 28" per handle turn...

I generally use these reels on 11' or 12' rods for tossing bait/sinker for bottom fishing... Of the few times I tossed lures the reels screamed... The reels will handle 4 oz + lures on the longer rods w/ no problem... I can get about 120 yards w/ a 6 oz. weight on the 12' rod and I am not a power caster... The reel probably could handle 3 oz lures (at least on the longer rods), but I have not tried at this weight

The multi stop anti-reverse seems find under pressure, however, I did notice a very slight slip and click when I engage or re-engage the gears when there is slack in the line... What this means I am not sure... But the this slip, if that's what I feel, is very subtle...

The drag is OK, but Shimano's Calcuuta drag is superior...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 07-24-2000).]

Dan... No problem at all smile.gif.

You are not the first person that has told me that the J-Speeds are not suitable for casting. I think that the 975 might suit you. I love the drag of the 975 and it is a good casting reel also if you tune it right. For roosters the retrieve speed is less than marginal, but I am sure that this will be no problem if you are targeting stripers.

Poppy...

I am worried about the slip you mention. Maybe I should buy the involved pieces as spares, just in case. I dont mind changing pieces that wear (if I dont have to do it too often of course!). I was not expecting a great drag, and for what you say it apparently is not, but if I have been able to use the 6500's drag then the 7500's should be no big problem.

Thanks to both for your important comments.

Sergio

Poppy, I've noticed the same thing in all 3 of the 7000/7500 size Abus I have. It concerned me at first, but they've been doing it for several years, and they never go beyond that first click, so I gave up worrying about it. This reel could use a one-way roller bearing like the smaller Abus have.

While on the subject, Prospector turned me onto a drag fix for the 6500 size Abus--it seems the washers from the larger Penn spinning reels--the 704/706, 7500SS and 8500SS, are almost exactly the same size as the stock Abu washers. They're the same diameter, in fact, but the center hole is larger on the Penn washers. I tried 3 Penn washers in the stack, and they sit too high for the second metal washer (the one with the two tabs that sit in slots on the main gear) to seat the tabs in the slot. However, with the stock Abu washer at the bottom of the stack, and the Penns above it, everything seems to fit and the reel re-assembles without a problem. While it has yet to be tested on a fish, there's a marked improvement in drag smoothness, and much more drag pressure than you could ever get with the stock Abu washers. The next step is seeing whether the washers from a couple of the small to medium Senators will fit the 7000 series.

I love antireverse bearings, I feel that they were a major breakthrough. Too bad these reels don't have them.

Trying to fit the Penn HT100 disks to the 7500C3 is very interesting. If it can be done I will do it for sure.

Sergio

Ditch, I remember you or perhaps someone else previously mentioning this drag washer swap... I have a bunch of Penn reels including the SS series and Senators. I will experiment...in the interim, if you come up with something for the 7000/7500, make a post on it smile.gif...

Thx...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

The CT7700CL and CT series (morrum versions of the Abu 7000 sizes) have the instant anti-reverse bearing. They're expensive, though, and I've never tried long-casting with the CT7700CL I've got. I use mine for a boat reel. They're strong reels with better drags than standard Abu's, in my opinion.

Hi Robert... Is the Morrun CT7700CL a new model or a model now not available?.

I did some research a couple of months ago and found out only two types of 7700 Morrums. The M7700CL which it is a levelwind reel with a not too bad 5.2:1 ratio and the M7700CT which is a non-levelwind with a too slow 4.1:1 ratio. I noticed that both 7700's have 3BB only and not 4BB+1RB as their smaller brothers. I suposed that the "1RB" missing in the 7700's is the antireverse bearing. Also in last years Offshore Anglers catalog, I think that it mentioned something about the bigger 7700´s lacking the instant antireverse.

A reel like the one you described if it has the retrieve ratio at least 5.2:1 is a good candidate for the duty I am thinking in.

I would appreciate if you could check this out for me.

Thanks!

Sergio

Sergio, the Morrum (M7700CL - levelwind) is as well made as any revolving spool reel on the market today as far as machined components and tolerances are concerned... However, the reel's gear ratio for the level-wind model is on the slow side at 4.1:1as you noted... The gears and drag are basically the same as the other comparably sized Ambassaduer's... As far as Abu's claim that all this extra engineering improves casting distance through smooth mechanization, well in my hands the reel is equal to the 7500C3 at best... Many of the Assateague Island and OBX fellows actually feel that both the Morrum M7700 and M6600 are inferior to the regular 6500/7000/75000 reels for casting distance. And the $270 price tag does not help. But the reel's uni-frame design makes it more rugged IMO than the 7000/7500. Does this mean will it last longer? Can't say for sure! BTW, you are right the 7700 Morrum does not have instant anti-reverse gearing...nor does the 7000/7500C3. These reels have what Abu calls the milti-stop anti-reverse...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

Thanks for the info Poppy.

Strange that a reel with this price tag does not have the IAR feature.

I still have not found the perfect conventional Roosterfish reel!!! mad.gifsmile.gif

The 975 is behaving perfectly in the fighting department and also it casts very well after tuning it and finding the right oils, but the reel is slow. Still looking... smile.gif

I will check again to see if I can have some custom gears machined for the 975.

Thanks again to all for your comments and tips!

Sergio