Ralph78

Staten Island

Rate this topic

3,700 posts in this topic

im just getting back * tonight actually. Blues, blues, blues, and more blues. All 8-15 pounds blitzing on peanuts. I was surprised i was the only one there, right at sunset too.

Edited by TimS
Overly specific

42 minutes ago, SaltyClam said:

No, Spot burning is a rule of the forum...He mentioned walking gateway beach on Staten Island which is about 2 miles long...what would be the point of this forum if he had left out the general area he was in...wouldn't make much sense

keep the info coming Mike..I appreciated it...last full moon tide at sunset I had an epic night of surf casting near seguine point...give that shot, you might have some luck

SI is pretty small, you don't need to get that specific. 

10 minutes ago, swirlchaser said:

He'll be gone in a week. We've had plenty like him come and go lol 

I agree it was too specific by forum rules, but why would he stay, when there's no one to talk to? Most of you don't post in the thread but to tell someone to shut up about there being fish off SI. I don't know what the big deal is, I launched at a well known spot last Tuesday because I heard there might be whales. I was the only kayak in sight, a couple of boats were around and there were only 3 or 4 shore fishermen. 2@18", I went home hungry. No whales.

26 minutes ago, gellfex said:

I agree it was too specific by forum rules, but why would he stay, when there's no one to talk to? Most of you don't post in the thread but to tell someone to shut up about there being fish off SI. I don't know what the big deal is, I launched at a well known spot last Tuesday because I heard there might be whales. I was the only kayak in sight, a couple of boats were around and there were only 3 or 4 shore fishermen. 2@18", I went home hungry. No whales.

Because it doesn't matter until it matters. Anyone remember what happened this past spring? It was a zoo, usually too late when you realize you burned a spot so why even chance it? And dropping the Seguine comment after guys tried to correct it? Well that was just a **** to everyone involved.  The surfcasters on SI are a VERY tight community,  you'll  know when you put yourself on the outs with that bunch :)

Edited by swirlchaser

21 minutes ago, swirlchaser said:

The surfcasters on SI are a VERY tight community,  you'll  know when you put yourself on the outs with that bunch :)

Just one more reason standing on the beach ain't my thing!  BTW ,the shorts were green side. Just got a new FF with Navionics+ contours, holy crap there's structure there I never knew about.

7 hours ago, gellfex said:

Just one more reason standing on the beach ain't my thing!  BTW ,the shorts were green side. Just got a new FF with Navionics+ contours, holy crap there's structure there I never knew about.

That's the best reason to fish the beaches, we help each other out a great deal.  There's a huge flat out there too, the water has been so cold they've been sitting shallow to keep warm.  Very slow start this year. 

9 hours ago, swirlchaser said:

Great Kills beach is considered a spot burn.  Don't try to rewrite the rules, follow them or move on. This thread has survived this long because we resolve these issues WITHOUT mods getting involved.  Keep up the nonsense and it will just get locked.

No one said greatkills, only gateway, that leaves 3 beaches to choose from, fort wadsworth miller field and greatkills

40 minutes ago, SaltyClam said:

No one said greatkills, only gateway, that leaves 3 beaches to choose from, fort wadsworth miller field and greatkills

C'mon dude you're grasping at straws here. I have nothing against general reports, but SI is so small that anything more specific is essentially a spot burn. If you look at how Jersey does it in their report thread they go by county and front or back; SI is smaller than most Jersey counties.

I'm not grabbing straws. I'm defending myself and my point...I didn't like how this new comer came on here looking for advice and trying to get into fishing and he got met with nothing but resistance and backlash for saying he was at gateway....he didn't give an exact location he used a general term....and instead of being helped out he was corrected...it's rude and probably discouraging

Edited by TimS
The message you quoted was removed - as was yours - we don't allow people to call each other names here, if someone makes an inappropriate post, report it - thanks

Alright boys and girls, knock it off. The name calling doesn't belong here. If  someone makes a post you feel is spot burning, report the post and let us deal with it. No one is welcome to act like a forum leader here - no one is welcome to act like the spot burn police. 

Please don't post overly specific location information in your posts. Mentioning a national park is NOT overly specific. I'm sorry if folks don't agree with that...but it's not. Overly specific is like saying you parked at X and walked to Y. Overly specific is telling someone which jetty you fished. National parks that are maintained for fishermen with thousands of parking spots, garbage cans and bathrooms is not spot burning.

As has been noted, if you don't participate in this thread sharing fishing information please don't post in it to tell other people what they should and shouldn't post. If you aren't helping to maintain the threads positive direction, please don't help send it in the other direction. Thanks :th:

TimS