Ralph78

Staten Island

Rate this topic

3,700 posts in this topic

I've caught them at North Beach Sandy hook (West side) which puts them in proximity to the bay...

Not even close, that's the outside. For the most part they follow the same waters Albies. The False hook is as far in as they come, the don't enter Sandy Hook Bay or Raritan Bay. On the NY side Breezy point and Ambrose is as close as you will see them. Raritan Bay is a very different body of water than either of those 2 spots.

I've caught them at North Beach Sandy hook (West side) which puts them in proximity to the bay... 

Erik --- I've gotten them on teasers as well as small shads and Diamond Jiggs often between Oakwood and Hoffman Island late in the season. Also seen them many times among the Bunkers for sale at MBT on Mansion Ave. 

Lol. Look, if you want to waste your days chasing Hickory Shad off SI beaches be my guest. They run in current same as Albies. It's not about distance it's about completely different water conditions. I'm only sharing my experience, I fish 4-5 times a week and I've never seen one. Caught on SI.

Not even close? lol I'd say N. Beach is pretty close to Raritan Bay...

If you think the water at North Beach is the same as the water in the bay you need to do more more homework. They couldn't be more different.

Fluked a bit today, have not really fluke fished the last few weeks. Got some nice ones and lost a brute. All the fish were stuffed to the gills with crabs. The fluke were working the peanut schools and when the bunker scattered the bite died. Cocktails around too but I wanted to get one last fluke hurrah in.

general question...does anyone do well with bass off SI in the fall?  I always do great in spring, but not so much during fall.  Generally hit NJ in fall.  Just curious about other peoples experiences.

Edited by Bulldog1977

general question...does anyone do well with bass off SI in the fall? I always do great in spring, but not so much during fall. Generally hit NJ in fall. Just curious about other peoples experiences.

Yea. Come mid October and November they bite.

general question...does anyone do well with bass off SI in the fall?  I always do great in spring, but not so much during fall.  Generally hit NJ in fall.  Just curious about other peoples experiences.

IMO fall is definitley worst then spring around here, but it depends on the bait. Mind you I'm an average bass fishermen at best so take that with a grain of salt. Last fall was spectacular though and there were plenty of bass around.