Ralph78

Staten Island

Rate this topic

3,700 posts in this topic

Been catching some nice sized blues on Ocean breeze pier. 26inches. We've also been catching flukes(keepers), and a whole bunch of snappers, porgies(scup), black sea bass, and i mean if you want. MANY MANY SEA ROBINS!!!!!!!!

and what is a day of fishing without some rays, skates and sharks. Rays have been 100lbers. theres been a couple of weakfish and kingfish but not really...

Welcome, we don't post specific locations on this forum.

Gotta protect that super secret fishing pier

If you allow one spot you allow them all. Not a debate, it's a rule of the forum. The post was from a new member who probably just didn't know the rules, let's not make it a bigger issue.

Question, do we ever get shad in the bay?  I know out front people get shad as bycatch fishing for stripers as a pretty regular thing but I have never seen one caught by us. Just curious if anyone ever got one or saw one caught.

@ jaybees cool, I maybe will pick one up on a teaser this fall then. @ swirl, same I never saw one come up off any beach out here but considering they can be pretty thick off the jersey beaches at times you would figure they would trickle into the bay sometimes

Never, in 20 years of fishing Bass on SI have seen a Hickory Shad.

The guys who commercially provide Bunker to the local shops start finding them as bicatch in October. I've caught many on the fly during the fall migration, usually in November/December. Mostly closer to the Ambrose channel.