Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael

So how many times have YOU gotten stuck?

44 posts in this topic

Whats your story? Have you gotten stuck on the beach? Had a problem? Let it out, tell the details.

Aside from the fact that many people enjoy hearing about others misery, my interest is education. Hopefully your responses will educate others (me) on what not to do, or what to be aware of while on the beach. (at least no one can say I am devious)

Oh, yeah...don't forget the pics...naughty.gif

hit the red sand at hatteras this past winter. Stuck as stuck could be. Had to call a wrecker. You know its bad when you get stuck and get outta the truck and sink to the knee. I can laugh about it now but at the time I was none to pleased.

Never got stuck...but came close. Once you feel the tires spinning and sinking it's time to stop. Air further down and have someone push the truck as you inch forward in first gear.

I have watched many people get stuck. Mostly because not airing down enough or not airing down at all. Sometimes, if it hasn't rained for a long time the sand gets extra soft and you need to air down and avoid making sudden turns.

I travel the sand where kids dig holes in the daytime and sometimes I can't see then at night. It pays to drive slow and watch where you're going. If the wheel falls into one of them, you're done when the sand is soft..

I have never been stuck on the beach (2 winters in Baja), but I have been stuck plenty of times other places.

On one occasion we were crossing the Wood River north of Ketchum ID going elk hunting. I crossed down into the river made is across, but opposite bank was too steep. Shove it in reverse and fly back across the river and get stuck just in the riverbed. Jack the truck up and chain up .....meanwhile the Forest Service helicopter with all my buddies on it hover over at about 50' checking us out.

Another time I got stuck down in the desert in springtime while working for the BLM. I get a truck stuck is a swale filled with greasy clay. Hitchhike back to the office get another truck, and guy and promptly got that truck stuck pulling the first one out. We get back to the office and bring another truck out there and almost got the thrid one stuck as well before getting the other 2 out. I was fortunate I didn't have to call for help on the radio.

my best friends favorite saying was...( You Can Make It ) we were stuck too many times to number and I am sure it wasn never my faultbiggrin.gif one time

we we going into the sandpits in a dune buggy and had to cross a river/stream 2 foot deep then go up a good size hill to get into the sandpit

and there were two trucks stopped to see how deep it was well we ZOOMED

between the two trucks through the stream drenching the two guys standing

there and up the hill we went almost to the top.. almost stalled , wet breaks we roll back down into the stream with another Big splash and the two guys say lets get um but the wv started right back up and off we went up over the hillcwm27.gifcwm27.gif SEE YA they were mad.gif

Me - not yet in my Expedition. First born male child - once, cause he was to stupid and didn't listen to his unlicensed younger brother about airing down. Guess who pulled him out?

Airing down is key and knowing when spinning the wheels in the current direction is leading to disaster. Time to stop, change direction, or straighten out before putting the pedal down again.

Three times that I can remember, where I needed someone else's help.

Once on South Beach on Martha's Vineyard, where I was crossing a tight dune and it gave way, dropping me down on the soft stuff below high water---I was winched out by a guy in a Bronco. This was very early in my beach driving career, and the only time it was due to stupidity.

Again on the Vineyard, when the transfer case in my K-5 Blazer crapped the bed. Bob Fountain, the old Superintendent, got me out, I aired down to about 8 lbs and drove the rest of the way off in 2wd. As soon as I hit the hard pack at the access point, the case went entirely and my buddy towed me to a garage.

Finally, while trying to rescue another truck that had hit a sinkhole on the back of Democrat Point, I ignored my better judgment and tried to creep close enough to reach with my tow line. My left front tire hit the same soft stuff and went down. But there were plenty of other trucks around--a CJ 7 got close enough to me to pull me out, then we tripled all of the lines and he got the original guy out.

Stuck, Only once in 30 plus years of beach driving, coupla mechanical breakdown tales, one that required a lot help and entertained about 8 miles of beach redface.gif ...but that's for another thread...

But, for now, the "stuck story"...

Probably around April 1994, drove out on Nauset in my old 85 F-250 Xcab with an 11 foot Coachman slide-on camper. My friend was making his "virgin" run with his truck, with his camper on it, he had plenty of beach driving under his belt, first run with a camper. We drove out, hit the first pull off, I turned around, and stopped and discussed how far down the beach he wanted to go. He said lets go a few more miles, and look for a real wide spot, so, he took off. I swung wide to turn back around, hit a sink hole and dropped the whole thing down to the frame in miliseconds...

Took a lot of digging, and me having to convince my friend to NOT get his rig near mine, (he woulda sank too). Anyway, we dug out my truck and dug a ramp fore an aft, aired down a bit more, rocked back, and forward in low range making a bit more headway each time.. after about the 12th back and forth, I let it sail and drove right up to the main trail... took at least 3 hours, from stuck, to unstuck. I normally would have filled the hole back in, but instead I found some old stakes off to the side of the trail and staked around it... told beach patrol early the next AM, they said the high tide filled it in for me!!! And they said that same spot had "eaten" three trucks the same week.

Several years ago on one of the cape beaches I aired down to 15 pounds on my 94 Ford Explorer, put it in 4 wheel high as I normally do and headed down to the beach. While driving to my spot I hit a soft spot and the truck bogged down. The first thing that I tried to do was back out of it in reverse because the gear ratio is lower in reverse but I still could not pull out so fishing pal gets out to see what was going on and he tells me that my front wheels are not moving so I tried re-engaging the 4 wheel drive into high and then low but nothing was moving. I cleared an area under the truck and had my freind active the low and high buttons but the electric motor that engages the tranfer case was not working. What a bummer to say the least.

I was very fortunate that my nephew was fishing the same beach and after we had finished fishing and we were ready to go home he was able to tow me off the beach with the equiptment that we are required to have in the truck. The replacement motor for the four wheel drive looks a lot like a windsheild wiper motor.

Tight lines, Strippedgear aka BOb

Once and fortunately only once - Back in the days when you could ride all the way out at Chatham. Like a dummy I couldn't wait until the tide dropped a bit more and ran down on the wet sand and buried the rig to the chassis. Three hours of digging and with the help of a local guy got it out.

The very next day 200 feet from where I got stuck a guy did the same with a Blazer. He wasn't so lucky as he got stuck when the tide was coming in.