Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trunky

what is this thing called ?

14 posts in this topic

I know you hang it on your wading belt and put the butt end in there when fighting a fish. but what's it called ? I can't remember?

I once had one made of white plastic rope, it hung around your neck, it had a place for the rod butt, and a plastic clip to hold your rod in close when landing a fish etc... I like to find another one but can't remember what its called ... confused.gif

thingy.jpg

cwm40.gif

we use to call them a gimble when it was screwed to a seat on the boat,,,swiveled an everything and was made of brass..kinda like these new fangled no spill cup holder's they have these days for ya boat.

I had one of these a long time ago but during one of my many moves it seems to have gotten misplaced. Does anyone know of a company that still makes something like this? I saw an orange plastic one that clips to a belt but I don't know who made it.

WE ALWAYS CALLED THEM BUTT CUPS. THEY HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE FORTIES OR BEFORE. THE GUYS WHO USED TO FISH THE ADMIRAL HOTEL JETTY (WHEN IT WAS THERE) IN CAPE MAY USED THEM ALL THE TIME.

THAT'S WHEN THEY HAD BURMA CANES W/ HOSE CLAMPS FOR ROD SEETS AND PENN 160'S.

GW biggrin.gif

This is where the surf fisherman adapted an existing product to be used in the surf. They were originaly designed for the flag carriers marching in parades. This was very prevalent in Scout Troops during the 50's & 60's. Today maost of them are dyed white.