JIGS

Mitchell 302 salt water reel

107 posts in this topic

Jeez, you're makin' me think I should keep the 302 at least!

What is a PUM?

The drag does not seem to be working at all much, I cannot get the drag adjustment piece to come off the spool, it just free wheels after removing the spool from the real.

PUM = "Pickup Manual"

A roller replaces the bail.

It sounds like you may be missing a drag washer or some other part.

The drag adjustment knob should screw off.

The deag spring under the cap is rather stiff, so have a good grip on it so it does not depart unexpectedly.

With any luck, there will be a diagram on the back side of the spool, showing the proper drag stack.

Drag washers are available from a couple dealers on the evil bay.

Sometimes you can find soare spools there as well. Provided the spool is complete, it will have the drag.

Posted (edited)

PUM = "Pickup Manual"

A roller replaces the bail.

It sounds like you may be missing a drag washer or some other part.

The drag adjustment knob should screw off.

The deag spring under the cap is rather stiff, so have a good grip on it so it does not depart unexpectedly.

With any luck, there will be a diagram on the back side of the spool, showing the proper drag stack.

Drag washers are available from a couple dealers on the evil bay.

Sometimes you can find soare spools there as well. Provided the spool is complete, it will have the drag.

I pulled the spool off and found in the rotor cavity what looked like a leaf curled up in there. Tossed that leaf in the trash.   I have since discovered that was the drag diagram!  It lasted from 1969 living under that spool, but it is no more now!

So I ordered a bearing from Boca and a Carbon fiber dragset for it and the crosswind cam.  So I should be able to service it and get it back going.  It is in excellent shape.  I was able to get the drag working a bit by placing the spool on my workbench and rapping it with a mallet.  Found that solution on the Interwebs.

When all the parts get here, I'll take it apart and clean it up, install the parts and see what I got.  Unfortunately for the folks here in this thread, I read that post above and figured out maybe I should resurrect it so it won't be given out to a lottery winner.  

Don't think the manual pickup is for me.  I would call that a MPU not a PUM, but ok...

I guess there is no solution for folks who want to keep the bail and get a roller on it?

Edited by les_garten

Not if you want to run braid. The "line roller" (note quotes) pretty much doesn't. Hence, it is not a braid friendly reel. None of the old Mitchel spinning reels are/were.

I suppose if you really want to be old school and run braid, there is a way.

On an empty spool run 15 to 20 layers of 20 pound test braided hollow core Dacron.

Splice in your mono, and fill the rest of the way.

Back in the day, when mono line first came out, it stretched more than it does today. The braided line was to prevent the spool from imploding due to the mono stretching while under load. It was a common "fix" on both spinning and conventional reels, before the spools were reinforced to deal with the compression. I've seen spools implode when I was young. My uncle had the spool of his Ambassador implode, in fact, when he tried mono line in 1959 or so.  

Posted (edited)

First time poster here.

The 302 is a great reel, I own two of them. I also have a 306 and a 406 that I like about as much. I'm a fan of just about every reel that Mitchell ever made.  

DSCN4209_2.jpg

Edited by Rook49

My Dad had 2 now I have them. Work great. We lived on the Hudson River at Poughkeepsie and I remember we would go to the docks and he would fling a 1 oz sinker out and bounce it off the side of a passing freighter. Whizzzzzzzz   BOING., he'd reel in and do it again before the ship was out of range. Great memories.

now I use them in the surf at Sunset Bch nc in Sept.

Posted (edited)

I am bumping this thread again as it has very important information that may be lost forever it should be considered a sticky thread. I have a couple of 300's one an a version I have had a long time. I live on the beach in Winchester Bay Oregon and have been catching alot of Pink Fin Perch. I recently was using a Shimano Spirex on an 11 ft Cabela Predator Rod with rings that hold the reel on. I found I could keep the reel on with rescue tape that only sticks to itself. Problem is keeping the reel clean. I have been rinsing with hot water and soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of salt terminator I use in my boat motor. Because of the rescue tape I have to leave the reels on the pole. The Spirex 4000 is now corroded after a short while so I remember the half bail pre 300's so I bought another one on ebay. I used it because a half bail only has one spring and does not depend on the bail flipping over. I realized I did not want to salt up such an old great reel so I recently purchased a 302 I have not used yet but after reading this post I found a PUM and a cross wind cam and a ceramic bearing that is waterproof. I have not installed any of it yet but will soon. I am also bidding on a 402 so I may like the faster receive on our beaches here in Oregon. This is my first post thanks for this thread and it needs bumped up.

183.jpg

Edited by wolfer
misspelled words

On 1/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, wolfer said:

I am bumping this thread again as it has very important information that may be lost forever it should be considered a sticky thread. I have a couple of 300's one an a version I have had a long time. I live on the beach in Winchester Bay Oregon and have been catching alot of Pink Fin Perch. I recently was using a Shimano Spirex on an 11 ft Cabela Predator Rod with rings that hold the reel on. I found I could keep the reel on with rescue tape that only sticks to itself. Problem is keeping the reel clean. I have been rinsing with hot water and soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of salt terminator I use in my boat motor. Because of the rescue tape I have to leave the reels on the pole. The Spirex 4000 is now corroded after a short while so I remember the half bail pre 300's so I bought another one on ebay. I used it because a half bail only has one spring and does not depend on the bail flipping over. I realized I did not want to salt up such an old great reel so I recently purchased a 302 I have not used yet but after reading this post I found a PUM and a cross wind cam and a ceramic bearing that is waterproof. I have not installed any of it yet but will soon. I am also bidding on a 402 so I may like the faster receive on our beaches here in Oregon. This is my first post thanks for this thread and it needs bumped up.

183.jpg

I've found the high speed gears to be more fragile than the standard ones. I've torn up several main gears in my 403, but the 303 holds up well. I'm personally not a fan of the crosswind at all: I think it lays live better without it. Your mileage may vary there. You should experiment and see which you like better. 

I just bought a 402 that had the bail broken off and the two screws that hold on the one side of the rotor are snapped off. I can buy a new nos rotor for 15 bucks and think I will put a manual PUM on it. Maybe I can get the screws out without drilling and rethreading. I will soak them in liquid wrench or something before I buy a new rotor.

On 1/21/2018 at 0:34 AM, Kima said:

I've found the high speed gears to be more fragile than the standard ones. I've torn up several main gears in my 403, but the 303 holds up well. 

You must have problems with you 403 other than the drive gear it's self, something is not lining up. I've got 402's and 302's and I've never messed up a gear in either of the models. I could pull a stump with either one and not mess up a gear.

5 hours ago, Rook49 said:

You must have problems with you 403 other than the drive gear it's self, something is not lining up. I've got 402's and 302's and I've never messed up a gear in either of the models. I could pull a stump with either one and not mess up a gear.

When you fish a 50 year old reel with a modern super line and tight drag, things go wrong. I have a pile of dead anti-reverse dogs and a few gears from my Mitchells.

Posted (edited)

I was looking for a new pinion bearing for one of my 302's the other day and couldn't find a new old stock. I got to looking around and found a new ceramic bearing sealed in oil that fits perfectly. Also fits the 402. I've never had any experience with ceramic bearings but this one the bearings appear to be in cased in stainless or nickle steel. 

I suspect the bearings are made for some other manufactures reels since I can't imagine a company tooling up to make a bearing for reels that are no longer being made. Anyway like I said it fits perfectly and it's smoother than the stock bearings that came in them plus it's sealed and doesn't need to be lubed. I found it on ebay. 

DSCN4683.jpg

Edited by Rook49

58 mins ago, Rook49 said:

I was looking for a new pinion bearing for one of my 302's the other day and couldn't find a new old stock. I got to looking around and found a new ceramic bearing sealed in oil that fits perfectly. Also fits the 402. I've never had any experience with ceramic bearings but this one the bearings appear to be in cased in stainless or nickle steel. 

I suspect the bearings are made for some other manufactures reels since I can't imagine a company tooling up to make a bearing for reels that are no longer being made. Anyway like I said it fits perfectly and it's smoother than the stock bearings that came in them plus it's sealed and doesn't need to be lubed. I found it on ebay. 

DSCN4683.jpg

Got a link for that Cutie?

24 mins ago, les_garten said:

Got a link for that Cutie?

I tried to post a link but evidently it's not allowed. You can go to ebay and type in Mitchell 302 ceramic bearing and it'll show up. He says he's only got one left.

Is it hard to replace a pinion gear for a 402? I have to replace mine because the hole for the rotor key is oval shaped and the key popped out. I fortunately found it. do you have to take the whole shaft out or does the pinion come out by itself?