What Does Asbestos Fireclay Look Like?

Rate this topic

HardyG

Gang,

I'm in the process of demolishing my rec room. Last Sunday, we blew out a horror show of a brick hearth. I will post pictures to show what a butcher job this fool did. In any event, we stopped because the fireclay going into the chimney is whitish-tan, and this thing was built 30 years ago. Is that asbestos pipe?

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

Gentlemen,

I present to you the craftsmanship of Larry Cutcorners. Picture 1, asbestos pipe going into the chimney, completely unsealed. All it would have taken was one ember backdrafting into the wall, and hello fire. I have a pellet stove exhausting into the chimney, however, it goes through gas-tight stainless steel pipe so there is no chance of leakage. Picture 2, Larry elected to cut two studs, but did not think that putting in a header was necessary. Hmnn, outside wall. Picture 3, what a mason! check out the vertical brick. Picture 4, a huge glob of mortar.

cutcornersasbestospipenotsealed.JPG

Cutcornersnoheader.JPG

cutcornersverticalbrick.JPG

cutcornersmortarglob.JPG

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

• 3 weeks later...