New rod/reel...what line?

Rate this topic

Eric

Got a new schoolie setup for Christmas...rod is rated for 8-17lb line, 1/8 to 5/8 oz. Reel will hold up to 200 yds of 10 lb test on one spool and 170 yds of 10 lb test on the other spool. If you were trying to cover as many bases as possible, what line would you put on each spool. (I'm open to either mono or braids/superlines). Your thoughts?

Eric, it would really depend on what type of water you are fishing. I don't judge an area by the size of the fish predominantly there, for even the biggest of beast will occassionally show up in such places, I prefer to be ready. I'll use the rod that makes the fishing most comfortable for a given location based on the location mainly...and the necessary distance of a cast...and the size of the lures I'll be throwing there. All those things before taking into consideration that I expect mostly small stripers to be there. All my outfits can handle even a big fish in the location those outfits are primarily used. If you are planning to fish beaches, go light...20# braid or 8-10# mono should be fine. Jetties, I would go with at minimum, 30# braid, I wouldn't fish a jetty with less than 15-17# mono, landing a fish is too difficult given any size to the fish or any waves at all. For places of current with no rocks or obstructions, again, 30# braid or 10-12# mono. Once you start playing with very light mono like 8# test, you are basically restricting yourself to open beaches only. At least fill the spare spool with 30# braid if you must fill the first spool with mono as light as 8-10# test, just in case you find yourself on a jetty.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.