Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ollie

Advice for fisherman visiting Sag Harbor please

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

My name is Ollie Summerfield and I am a very keen angler based in London, England.I shore and boat fish for European sea bass with plugs, poppers and soft baits. I am visiting family on Long Island (near Sag Harbor) between 19 and 27 September. I am keen to do any kind of fishing available (Surf, Inshore, Offshore, Tuna Jigging etc.) but a quick look online seems to suggest that this time of year the fall run of stripers and bluefish along with False Albacore and Bonito present the best opportunity.

I plan to hire an inshore guide for a day and do some surf fishing also. From reading this excellent board and my own experience I am quite familiar with the tackle required but would really appreciate any advice with regard to good locations near to Sag Harbor and at Montauk and any suggestions as to a good inshore light tackle guide probably at Montauk.

I think I will bring chest wadrers and plan to fish a selection of lures early morning and evening time-Does this sound ok?

Thanks for your Help.

Montauk is less than 1 hour drive from Sag Harbor. September is known for daytime blitz fishing and those that travel to Montauk to fish it. There are also many partyboats and charterboats with split charters in Montauk Harbor targeting every species mentioned. There are surf guides available too. You need Korkers and waders for the surf.

Sag Harbor is a little trickier to fish from shore as much of the property is private, but you will see folks on the beach by the ferry at the northern part of Sag Harbor.

There is also a great tackle shop in Sag Habor that can provide anything you need or have forgotten.

The #1 daytime lure in September is probably a 2oz white pencil popper. At night, there are a lot more possibilities.

I would definitely do a light tackle trip out of MOntauk. You should be there at the right time for bass blues and false albacore. The person I used to fish with runs bigger boats now, but there are plenty of other guides. The shore fishing around Sag will be so-so in Sept. However, if you have kids, there is great snapper & porgy fishing off the pier right in town. Montauk from shore can be tough for a newcomer and Sept. is crowded, but it's worth checking out- the fishing will be good. You're about 25-30 min. from Montauk with no traffic. Watch out for the deer. Also try the beaches in Bridge Hampton due South of Sag for stripers and blues.

And, yes, you must visit Kenny at Tight Lines Tackle.

You've got plenty of options but none of them include fishing Peconic Bay, which is where Sag Harbor is located. My number one preference for fishing the second or third week in September would be to target False Albacore and/or Bonito by boat between the North and South Forks of LI(Plum Island, Gardiner's Island, Fischers Island, etc.). The bass fishing at Montauk and the South Side may or may not be in full swing from the shore at that time, but it's definitely worth the effort, especially if you go at night, as the water may still be very warm. You can also run into some nice bluefish during the day on the ocean beaches, so bring along some 2-3 oz metal. You can also target the bass below the bluefish if they're blitzing.

Definately visit Kenny at Tight Lines in Sag Harbor. As far as light tackle guides there are a couple in MTK and I think one on Shelter Island. At that time of year any of the ocean beaches have potential for fish. If you're looking at false albies Shinnecock Inlet is another possibility, also 20 minutes away.

Tony

Another "definately visit Kenny at Tight Lines" recommendation. At that time of the year, Montauk can have blitzes at any time of day, but for me the last two hours before dark and into the night are best. Check the tide tables to make sure the water will be moving. Good luck.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered me such good advice, I will be sure to visit Kenny and say StripersOnline sent me!!

Any other comments would be welcome especially the name of a good inshore guide (I know as locals you will not use guides much).

I've heard good things about John DeMaio and his boat Vivienne for inshore bass charters off Montauk, never been out with him personally though.

visit ken at tight lines tackles in Sag off bay st

yeah just dont ask him for the slightest pointer of where to begin trying to catch fish..

"fish have tails"

i hear a hell of alot of praise for ken but the half dozen times ive been there he has given me a bit of an attitude, and no i didnt ask for any spot burns just a general direction to go like dont try the peconic bay or try the ferry landing areas for shelter island as have been stated in this thread..

he can be a nice guy as i have seen from customers he has helped while i was waiting patiently for 20 minutes to pay for the items i had to purchase.. he's a strange guy.. but does run one of the best shops in that area other then mantuak shops..

any way montauk would be the best bet for finding the fish or getting a charter boat. pick up a copy of noreast magazine or the NY longisland edition of fisherman magazine and tehre will be a ton of charter ads..

The water is extremely warm this summer and although there are plenty of fish to be caught off the beach you wont get the bigguns unless you really know the area. You would be better off renting a boat or take a charter to the Race or Sluiceway for some nighttime deeper water bass trips. If the summer stays the way it is, the water wont cool down at all - September can very easily be the hottest month of the year - watch the hurricanes and weather patterens and then make a decision.

-SSCG

Bring over a bunch of those fine 4 inch red gils with you from England.. natural colors and darker colors....

They guys on the beach at Montauk will show you how to tie em on as a teazer...