Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Best mono... Berkley Big Game, Suffix or what???

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I am looking to spool a couple of reels with mono and am wondering what mono is best for casting distance and for abrasion resistance. The Berkley Big Game seems to have a smaller diameter than some. I am also looking at Suffix Siege or Elite or Tritanium. Suffix is small diameter and claims better wear.I fish the rocks and jetties of Rhode Island, mostly plugs. Any feedback would be great. I expect at least a few "What's mono?" posts so I am OK with that. Help would also be great. Thanks.

Big fan of Jinkai. It is the best when abrasion resistance is weighed against diameter IMHO, but i $$$$$. Sufix Tritanium (sp?) I'm using for the first time this year, seems like a great line as well.

But you really can't go wrong with Big Game for the price (or good old ANDE for that matter).

When I use mono I really like Bekely XT. It sits down well on both conventionals and spinning reels. I find that BIg Game is a bit springy. I use the XT for fly leaders to. It's a bit thicker than some lines for a given diameter. But it probably overtests anyway. It is a tough line that casts well.

I don't like thin prestretched mono type lines. Not tough enough and don't cast that much further

All mono that isn't specifically rated to an IGFA line test is, in fact, well over it's rated strength.

The real test is 25%-75%, and it varies between brands and probably from production run to porduction run. I don't think it matters much, for daily fishing.

I use and Big Game, Silver Thread, and Ande almost without noticing which is which. There are a few lines that have distinctive properties, if you need them. P-line C-XXX is hugely over its' rated strength, and it's tough as hell in terms of abrasion resistance. It also has a lot of memory, more then most. Sufix Tri-Tanium is also 60% above its' rated strength, very abrasion resistant. I don't know that it has as much memory at the same test as C-XXX.

Excellent Thread as I am finding myself going from Braid ot Mono on my ABU 6500.

I have used a few types with mixed results. I was told that that CAJUN (red line) is durable like ANDE, but has better casting qualities.

Has anyone tried the CAJUN line ?

Excellent Thread as I am finding myself going from Braid ot Mono on my ABU 6500.

I have used a few types with mixed results. I was told that that CAJUN (red line) is durable like ANDE, but has better casting qualities.

Has anyone tried the CAJUN line ?

I'm currently using 12# CAJUN on a 5000 series Abu and have had absolutely no problems. Seems to lay pretty flat, too. There are two types of CAJUN line...get the softer one made for casting.

cajun-red-cast.jpg

Tried the #20 Cajun on my ABU 7000's... YUK!!!

Stuff was very brittle, wiry, and would break above the knot between hands. Try that with BG, Sufix, etc. They have a casting version out, but I'm not going to try it.

By far IMO, the best value on a very good mono would have to be FFO's "Premium Saltwater Line". It's labeled 14 pound, and costs $1.68 per 1/4 pound/870 yard spool.

I'm 99.9999% certain the stuff is re-spooled Big Game Supreme (I have the actual BGS to compare) and is simply excellent. Super strong, excellent knot strength, same clear steel color, good abrassion resistance, etc.

Diameter is .015", and is a value that can not be ignored.

SS

ffo14.jpg