Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coolerpup

If its within the law...........

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

what is your opinion of people who do keep fish. I hear all this stuff about catch and release, which I do because I dont eat fish, that i wonder how you look at people who keep what they catch.

Hence my name, Coolerpup.

Borrowed it from a friend who was describing a PuppyDrum being taken to someones cooler on the Point in Hatteras.

I feel that some people look down from there soap boxes to criticize people who keep fish within the laws.

Me, if its within the laws, keep it.

What is your opinion???

AllenC

by all means, if someone wants to keep any legal fish, then they should feel free do so -- as long as it isn't going to waste.

but at the same time, it's okay to gently remind people they they don't necessarily need, say, 15 bluefish or 14 weakies.

Scoop I have to admit I have seen coolers like that and have thought the same thing "Do you really need to kill ALL those fish?" But when its one fish, and within the legal limits of length some people get on their soap boxes and start preaching about "give it a chance to reproduce" or "you ought to be ashamed" things like that.

Some people dont have anything better to do than criticize what others do.

AllenC

Coolerpup

I like a keeper to bring home and eat. We enjoy fish in my house.

Now talk about fish in a cooler. I was at the point and I see this guy who shows me four Bass in his cooler Yep 4. He tell's me he was on a party boat and got two last night and two this morning. So you know your allowed two fish per trip on the boat's he says. I don't like it but there allowed right. So I'm fishing and I get a small keeper walk up and put it in the box and he walks over and say's do you want a slip so you can take two fish. My friend get's me the slips he works on one of the boats. I told him no and walked away. I know I still think I should have call the DEC or Parks cops.

If they're legal and they ain't gonna go to waste keepem and eat'em. I won't keep more than 3 per season. Usually one in the beginning, middle and end. The father-in-law fishes but doesn't get any so he always gets a nice piece. He would never keep up on night jaunt, but he and I get out and fish days to keep his hand in it. He turns 70 next week.

Me personally I like to eat fish of all kinds. Unfortunely the other half doesn't. Therefore I don't cook fish that much anymore. Yes I do all the cooking.

When my dad was alive, and my mom was healthly we all enjoyed eating fish. Then I used to bring home some fish. It never went to waste. Now adays its basically catch and release.

If you want to eat it by all means do so . Just don't waste it.

I fish...I eat...I eat fish.

All depends on what species I'm fishing for or catch. Tog, without a doubt, go into the cooler.(Of course of legal size and in season)

Bluefish, usually they go back to swim and bother some striper anglers again unless I have direct orders from my aunt to get her a couple.

Striper, will keep a legal fish(not a slot) every once in awhile.

Fluke, into the cooler they go...too bad most were a 1/4" short this year and hopefully will come back to my line next year.

Weakfish, will keep a couple but lately they've been tasting too much like blues.

If ya can keep em and do, great...just don't waste em.

------------------

...the togman cometh...

got tog?

I'm not going to preach to anyone--here or on the beach, but I never keep fish (unless they are hooked in a way that's fatal). If someone I'm fishing with wants to eat them, that's fine (but don't ask me to catch one for you). The truth is I'm a little superstitious about it--like the fish know who's a friend and who's a foe. Does anyone else feel that way? It seems like if I end up killing a fish because it was foul hooked, etc., it takes awhile before I catch another one. Maybe it's in my head, but why give the fish another reason to avoid your lures?

Keep only what you can eat...don't catch fish and give then away to friends and family, unless you eat it with them...if they want to eat bass...they can go catch there own. My friends and family are always bothering me to bring them fish...I say...go get your own!!!

BB---I think if the DEC cops were around, your buddy with 4 bass in his cooler might have had a slight problem. The way I read the law, it is one per day in possession, or two per day in possession on a head boat. Don't matter when you caught 'em, it's a possession law. To be transported intact except for evisceration of the innards to your place of domicile. Not sure whether it's even legal for the mates to fillet them on the boat. If so, they have to keep the racks until they're back at the dock and the fares have disembarked.

CP,

In some instances, the laws seem to be wrong however. The law in NJ says you can keep 1 fish at 24" and 1 at 28". Now I think everyone will agree when I say that particular law is not in the best intrest of the striper population. 24" stripers should not be kept. My heart sinks everytime I see someone throw a slot on a stringer.