Good Morning New York, New Jersey, CT, MA etc etc and welcome to Florida.

Rate this topic

Spigola

Just settled in, had my coffee and bagel and my eyes are open. lg_smile.gif

I know it is too early for my eloquent co-moderator tongue.gif to be awake on the left coast but I would like to welcome all of you out in SOL land to this new forum. HappyWave.gif

Almost a bit ironic that Diggly and I are both flyfishing afficianados but this forum will NOT be solely flyfishing oriented. clapping.gif

We hope to be able to extend the range of SOL to those of you who are traveling to the DEEP SOUTH and who live there.

Whether you live up here in the cold Northeast, out on the West Coast, around Digglyville, or in the sunny state of FLA cool.gif , we hope you jump in and make this forum interesting, humorous and successful.

I hope that any of you who have friends, or enemies for that matter, in FLA let them know about this site. The best input is always from those on the scene. Over the years I have found that third hand reports aren't worth the site they are written on.

Spigola

Thanks PAP,

I think you are right, I do need to chill out. Don't forget my illustrious partner in crime, the unforgettable Diggly. That poor gal needs some chillin', recuperating from her injuries.

I'll guarantee that gal knows a hell of a lot more about FLA than I do. Probably a damned sight easier to look at than me too. rolleyes.gif

BTW, I think the only grey matter I have left is my hair. Brain cells kinda' died off once I started flyfishing. wink.gifcwm31.gif

Spigola HappyWave.gif

Oh I'm sure both of you have alot to offer and I will take advantage of it too.

Hey the old saying Two heads....

This works out good for both of you as far as relaxing. Theorapy Thu Thrends.

Good luck again with the "Diggy Spiggy Show"

Paul

Live For Today.. Trust in Tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

O.K. spig,lets see what you got biggrin.gif ,My wife is bringing me down by the keys in oct. for my 50th birthday,we'll be on kind of a budget.

what would you reccomend for the first timer down that way as far as what to fish for,charters,etc.

Any help would be much appreiatted. HappyWave.gif

Your never to old to have a happy childhood!

Where in the keys are you going?

I can give you the following info my bud TLDig gave a bit back "there aren't a lot of places to wade in the keys by yourself, but there by bahia honda state park there is some nice wade-able flats. and you can bring your flyrod along too.

now if you are not going to have a boat, i can suggest some great places to walkabout and fish... for instance, drive back up 1 to the C111 bridge... turn right just north of the bridge, drive til you can't anymore and park and then walk through the gate and onto the dike between the canals. one canal is freshwater and holds a great deal of bass and bluegills and other surprises and the big canal is saltwater and i've caught my fair share of smaller (to 60 lb) tarpon there, along with cudas, snook and other salty species.

another suggestion is to hit any of the bridges at night. you can take your flyrod if you want, but you'll probably want to throw yourself a big old spinning rod instead cause those tarpon can be HUGE there. your chances of landing them go down from shore but it's been done and it can be exciting.

plenty of guides in marathon, but book early because they fill up fast.

if you have access to a boat, spend a day in the sister cut. also spend a day in horseshoe on the gulf side of the island... and don't forget that big cut halfway out in the atlantic side between the islands by the big bridge... no names... just a suggestion.

have fun.

Spigola