Surf Hunter

Magging an Avet MXJ

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Magging an AVET MXJ...(or at least how I did it.)

Start you will need the following:

3 rare earth magnets 1/4" x 1/10" (Available from Lee Valley)

3 3/8" washer for 1/4" magnet (Available from Lee Valley)

Isopropyl Alcohol

Elmer's Glue

Super Glue Gel (I used Permatex' Ultra bond)

Beer (optional but preferred)

Mag1.jpg

To begin:

Remove the three take down screws on the handle

side of the MXJ. Remove gear box and spool.

Clean inside side plate with alcohol to remove any and all grease and oil.

Mag2.jpg

Place a small amount of Elmer's Glue on the back

side of the washers and install them towards the

bottom of the side plate. The reason for using

Elmer's Glue is that it really does not bond well to metal and you can "test fit" the area to make sure the washers and magnets do not rub the spool. Elmers scrapes of easy with out damage to the metal to prep for permanent attachment. Allow the glue to dry for at least 30 minutes.

Mag3.jpg

Place a magnet on the middle washer and put the

reel back together. Put reel in Free Spool and spin the spool to make sure the magnet does not rub the spool. There is a surprising amount of room in the MXJ and the washers with the magnets seem to fit perfectly.

Mag4.jpg

Remove magnets and washers. Clean area with

alcohol to prep for final assembly.

Take Super glue Gel and attach washers in the

same location as previously determined and let

cure.

Once cured, place magnets in washers. It is VERY

important to place the magnets in the proper polarity.

You want the magnets in the following order: North, South, North. I have placed a blue mark on the north pole of each magnet prior to assembly. (Lee Valley already marks the north pole in red ink). Do not glue magnets in the washers. This way, if the magnetic force created is to strong you can always remove one of the magnets. After the magnets are set, lubricate them with a film of grease or oil to prevent corrosion.

Mag5.jpg

Rebuild reel and double check the clearance of the magnets to the spool.

Now, try it out, If you just place the reel in free spool and drop a weight you will not get any benefit. The magnets only work with high revolutions of the spool.

Go to the park or the water and cast like you really mean it!

If the mags are two week add another one. if the

spool is two slow you can remove one magnet and

keep trying. the goal is LONG DISTANCE casting

with out to much thumb work.

NOTE: I used this reel this morning on a Loomis

Bucara and I actually had to remove one of the

magnets as the force was to great. Two magnets

seem to be perfect on this reel.

AVET SX Owners:

*** Note for the Avet SX I used two ¼" magnets only with out Washers and it worked out perfect. The washers were to large and caused the magnets to rub against the spool. I was able to get some seriouse distance with hardly any thumb control what so ever.

Hope this helps,

Tom

[ 06-28-2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: tomaurand ]

biggrin.gif Tom what a great lesson!!! Since I have never seen or tried this little operation the pics and the explanations are great. Thank you, it will make the conversion a breeze.

One question, if you only use 2 of the magnets your using 1 north and 1 south, side by side? I would also like to know what made you decide on the narrow spool instead of the wide one they offer? Before I put the $$$ up it would be nice to know as much as possible, I will be buying a left hand mx model but since this will be my first conventional dont know whether to get the wide or narrow spool,if it makes a difference in the castability and or the distance we are trying to achieve, will be used for casting big bunker chunks or whole heads on a custom 1509 rainshadow. Thanks again for this great info.... icon14.gif The KING of beers is a must.

Thanks Freddy,

I really enjoyed being able to do this article and take the pics. I know there are probably other ways people mag thier reels but this was really easy and it worked great.

When using two magnets do place them side by side on facing north the other south.

The reason I bought the narrow spool as this rig is used for west coast iron fishing for yellowtail, bass and tuna. When you are casting or Yo-Yoing irons all day I prefer the narrow spool design. One just for the weight reduction and two is it allows me to use my thumb better than on a wide spool. It is really just my preference. You see allot of West coast anglers going to narrow spool reels. If you can, i would just go to a store and hold both reels. Maybe put them on a rod and see what you find the most comfortable.

and yes, ya gotta have the bud to mag the reel properly biggrin.gif

Yes the BUD is a must! When you dont know how to do things and you ask questions so you can find the answers to get it right, Well to say the least I am impressed by the responce, Thank you for your knowledge and maybe I can find a shop that sells them close by. I might opt for the wide glide just because I mostly see them being used where I fish on AI in MD. I cant wait to get the new set up and am looking forward to a great fall run..... cwm12.gif

here's a tip for the SX people too...

lee valley doesnt have skinny magnets, but KJ Magnetics does.

----

i used 3 "D61" magnets on my SX. nice strong, skinny magnets.

drool.gifbiggrin.gif

So, Throwing Timber, Did you drool more over the reel or the custom ARC rod that I had made with the marbalized under wraps?

Need another napkin? wink.gif

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Tomaurand- Thanks for posting to info and especially the pictures!!! Maybe I'll get brave enough to try one myself!!! Just a thought, you could use clay instead of Elmer's for a test fit, may be easer to clean up.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Tomaurand- Thanks for posting to info and especially the pictures!!! Maybe I'll get brave enough to try one myself!!! Just a thought, you could use clay instead of Elmer's for a test fit, may be easer to clean up.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The elmers glue does not really stick to the aluminum. A little wipe with an alchole pad and its off, easy as pie. Clay may mess with the tollerance of the disk to the metal.

Thanks tomaurand, reel now magged, will try it tomorrow if it stops raining enough to let me try it biggrin.gif

Oh in case no one has a compass handy, to find north on a magnet, sandwich your magnets on a square peice of paper and tie some fishing line to the paper. Suspend the magnets by the line and spin the magnets. When they come to rest, the side thats pointing south is the north pole. (remember same poles repel and opposites attract wink.gif )

Thanks tomaurand, reel now magged, will try it tomorrow if it stops raining enough to let me try it biggrin.gif

Oh in case no one has a compass handy, to find north on a magnet, sandwich your magnets on a square peice of paper and tie some fishing line to the paper. Suspend the magnets by the line and spin the magnets. When they come to rest, the side thats pointing south is the north pole. (remember same poles repel and opposites attract wink.gif )

Sweet, let us know how it worked out for you!