Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

bearing cleaing solvent

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

what do you like to use to clean the bearings? All I have left to do is clean and oil the bearings then im ready to go.

I use a couple of things I start with a can of brake clean, and then soak them in acetone. about 20 minutes should do. Blow them out, then spin them dry. A half drop of oil in each is all you need. Big Dave

Friends,

Just make sure you do all this in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. Some of this stuff can do a job on your lungs/skin and when the furnace goes off you'll be lucky if you just lose your eyebrows. I have seen some nasty fires started from furniture cleaners.

Steve

good point Steve, forgot to mention it, aerosol brake cleaner is a definite no-no in the basement anywheres near the boiler or hot water heater!

biggrin.gif

Thanks guys...I use lighter fuel usually. But since Im outta it I thought i woudl see what others use before I buy some new cleaner.

In addition to starting fires solvents can do a job on lungs and immune systems. When you get solvent on your skin and it turns white it means the solvent has dissolved natural skin oils and now the solvent can penetrate directly into your bloodstream.

Solvents are for outside and with rubber gloves.

carb cleaner can also get light gunk off.

but i find its not as fast as brake cleaner for grease.

oh ya. carb cleaner + anywhere 10 feet near fire = no no.

View Postcarb cleaner can also get light gunk off.

but i find its not as fast as brake cleaner for grease.

oh ya. carb cleaner + anywhere 10 feet near fire = no no.

I know it is hard to find, but benzene is good.

I use aerosol brake cleaner. Spray some in a small glass container like a shot glass and let the bearings soak. Then I put the bearings one at a time on a pencil point and spin and spray. Spin the bearing, spray... repeat. Flip the bearing over and repeat. I do this several times until I'm confident all the old oil residue is out of the bearngs.

Then I place the bearings on a piece of window screen and place the screen on top of a lampshade so the heat from the light bulb dries and warms the bearings. I've also placed them on top of a toaster oven to do this. It dries them thoroughly and heats them up.

I take the bearings off the heat source one at a time put them on a paper towel and relube them while still warm. The warm bearing draws in the oil better than a cold bearing. The paper towel blots the excess oil that flows out of the bottom of the bearing.

One thing about the pencil. The solvent will soften the paint and make a mess on your hands. So I prep the pencil by using the solvent to strip the paint beforehand. Save the pencil for next time.