Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

abec 7's

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Great forum!

I just found it.

I've got two abus that I fish with often. A 7000 big game and a 7000c3.

They are at least 3 seasons old. Heavily used.

Will I notice a huge difference with new abec 7 bearings?

Tightlines,

Stroth

I dont really care for Abec 7 reated bearings there smooth and very tight in fact a few years back when the abec 7 craze was all over the boards put them in a few of my tournament 6500"s and found that I cast a bit further with the stock bearings.

So should I replace the bearing at all?

Is cleaning them enough?

I've heard ceramics are not worth it?

I put some "Abec7"s in my Abu7000,can't wait to give it a test drive. The reel now feels SO much faster than it did with the bushings..big difference . I might be doing it to the Abu7000C3 that I also have. Also ...you might want to get some oil for those bearings.."Red Rocket"oil. Good luck !

If your reel has bushings then going to any bearings will be a big improvement but stock factory bearings are all you need . It's a myth that you need abec 7 or ceramic bearings . In fact the tighter tolerance in them generally hinders most casters unless they play with super fast oils which have no place in fishing reels , more maintenance .

no bushings

both reels have bearings now. i think the only way to really know what's up is to change the bearings and see what I think.

i think they are cheap under ten bucks.

I still have a question...do bearings wear out?

Stroh A great cleaning and spinning after they are dry will give you a good indication if the bearings are junk. You will know just by the grovel sound to them. The 7's are a very smooth bearing and work just fine. For distance I want a bearing that has a little less tolerance to it to allow it to be tuned a bit better.

Marky Never under estimate bushings I have cast the old style 6000 series reels over 650' In fact I watched a Texas Casters Named Hector use a fiberglass Fenwick 1688F/2 with a 6000 with busing cast a measured 737' Regards Big Dave

BigDave ..I will admit ,that is amazing!Even with the bushings...Now you have thinking. Spring will not come fast enough to let me try out the Abu7000 with bearings and trying the bushings.

you will be really happy with busings, they fish well. I do give the edge to bearings. But I still fish bushing reels in the fall with levelwind 7000's and tuned so that I am able to cast with neoprenen gloves, and not have to touch the spool at all until splash down. distance is more than adaquate Big Dave

Abec 7's are a little tighter and less receptive to tuning, not always faster either...if you check with Tres Irby you'll see he gets more for a hand picked set of stock bearings than for the 7's.

biggrin.gif