Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Rod & cooler rack for surf buggy, front vs. rear opinions please.

28 posts in this topic

I have a xterra & am interested in a removable rack. Can't spend alot as I will only use it occasionally. I love surf fishing especially drive on. I'm a bait guy and often fish multiple rods. Front rack could be good for pulling up perpendicular to surf and not even bothering w/ spikes (is this feasable?). It would also be nice to see that the rods are ok and not bouncing around too much of if they fall off. I suppose that one could just as easily back up to surf. The disadvantages are you couldn't see them from the cab. This could be a big disadvantage on cold late fall days when the north wind is blowing. Rear rack would not hinder air flow but could hinder access to rear of my suv. What other factors should I take into consideration? What do you think, front or back.

Thanks.

JD

I have to go with the front mount. You can see your rods while moving, and see the rack itself while parking. I'd hate to hinder myself trying to access the rear hatch if I had an SUV.

I know it's tempting to use that 2" receiver on the back. Especially since you rarely tow. But if the truth be known, look at what's actually being used at the beach, and you will se an overwhelming majority of front-mounted coolers/rods.

Perhaps it's a clearance issue. I don't believe a rod would fall out in either location. 98% of what's in actual use is front-mounted.

I made a cute cooler holder that slips on top of your spare tire a few years back. It was all PVC, with two pieces of Angle Iron for strategic reinforcement. But that's WAY higher than using your receiver. Again, a clearance issue? Quien Sabe?

AMMO

I use a rear receiver hitch to hold my cooler/rod rack. However, like everyone has stated, it is a pain in the butt to access the rear of the suv. Other than that, I haven't had any problems with it.

When I bought my new truck,I had to use the rear hitch until I could get my front receivers mounted.I thought at first,I may stay with the rear hitch until the first time I tried it.I had everything loaded and realized I`d forgotten something.I had to take rods out to open the cap to put it in the back.Then,I got to the bait shop and had to do it again to get in the back.Once on the beach,I had to take the rack off and set to the side to use the tailgate as a work bench out there.I got my front rack as soon as I could after that.That rear rack was a pain in the axx.

Jim,,,,,,,

There are swingaway rear mount cooler/rod racks on the market.Will give you easy access to the rear hatch.I've always had a front mount on my Bronco,but am seriously thinking about a swingaway in the back for my '02 SuperCrew.

I also think a large front mount definitly saps your gas mileage(if you make long treks like I do)and restricts air moving across the radiator

and tranny cooler,if equipped.

Just a thought.

There are swingaway rear mount cooler/rod racks on the market.Will give you easy access to the rear hatch.I've always had a front mount on my Bronco,but am seriously thinking about a swingaway in the back for my '02 SuperCrew.

I also think a large front mount definitly saps your gas mileage(if you make long treks like I do)and restricts air moving across the radiator

and tranny cooler,if equipped.

Just a thought.

Hey that make alot of sense I will be making long trips so the back rack would make more sense for me

I use a rear on my excursion but plan on setting it up in the front........I can only open the hatch and not the "barn doors" when its on.500
Nice lookin setup how much are those rack going for ??

My rear mount blocks liftgate , could cure with hitch extension but would prefer front mount except not made for pathfinder.

Never had problem with sand on my stuff in rear but I don,t go fast on sand .