stripercrazy

lets see your rig, this snow's driving me nuts

1,410 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2018 at 0:55 PM, z-man said:

This is a photo from back in May. 

80FCFED8-C418-4C2D-B368-43BA29EDC0F0.jpeg

Just got myself the Xsporter for the taco.  Plan on putting the ski rod racks up there and some sort of kayak holder on the other side.  How do you like the set up?  Did you have to trim the arms of the rack to get it to go that low?

Edited by Bluetaildragger

51 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Just got myself the Xsporter for the taco.  Plan on putting the ski rod racks up there and some sort of kayak holder on the other side.  How do you like the set up?  Did you have to trim the arms of the rack to get it to go that low?

The Xsporter rack works great. I’ve had it for 4 years. I also have an ARB awning that I mount to it that wasn’t on in the picture above. I cut around 3” off of the vertical arms to get it go as low as it is in the photo and also cut a few inches off of the cross bars so they aren’t sticking out beyond the side of the truck as much. 

31 mins ago, z-man said:

The Xsporter rack works great. I’ve had it for 4 years. I also have an ARB awning that I mount to it that wasn’t on in the picture above. I cut around 3” off of the vertical arms to get it go as low as it is in the photo and also cut a few inches off of the cross bars so they aren’t sticking out beyond the side of the truck as much. 

Awesome man.  When you trimmed the cross bars, was it easy to get the caps back on so it looks clean?  looks very clean in your pics.

Also, I'm guessing shortening the vertical arms removed the ability to lock them?

1 hour ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Awesome man.  When you trimmed the cross bars, was it easy to get the caps back on so it looks clean?  looks very clean in your pics.

Also, I'm guessing shortening the vertical arms removed the ability to lock them?

I cut everything with a metal cutting blade on a chop saw so it cut pretty clean. You need to remove the plastic inserts from the vertical supports before you cut them. Then trim them to fit back into the cut piece. I cut a small notch into them so that the locking mechanism would still work. 

23 mins ago, fishcamp said:

2016 Silverado 3500HD with 2011 Lance 850 Camper. We camp and surf cast on Cape Cod and love it. Bring on the summer!!

trucko.jpg

If my wife dies im in that setup the next day.

18 hours ago, fishcamp said:

2016 Silverado 3500HD with 2011 Lance 850 Camper. We camp and surf cast on Cape Cod and love it. Bring on the summer!!

trucko.jpg

Looks like you got the best parking spot at Sandy Neck. :)