Air compressor

Carl Hartmann

Carl, since you are a member of the njbba, I would ask some of those guys also, I have seen a few members over the years with different idea's, some use a old style a/c compressor's, which you have to make brackets and add pulley's etc, but anything is possible, those small electric ones that plug into a cigerette lighter work, but are very slow, because of there compressor size,maybe someone will chime in and help out, good luck

I have compressors in my trucks that I fashioned with A/C units. However, if I knew then what I know now.... I would have installed a CO2 tank instead.

I have one now and it is without a doubt the best option.

Not sure of the size... it is about 28" long and 4" in diameter. It was given to me in a full state of charge and I have used it a dozen times so far. They are easy to have refilled at any welding supply shop.

Mine is out of commission at the moment. I mounted it under the motorhome and a rock took out the gage. I'm going to move it to the engine compartment before spring.

It fills my tires faster than anything else ever could.

Product Lines

Draft Beer Equipment

Wine Equipment

Water Equipment

Specialty Refrigerators

About Us

Contact Us

Store Location

Frequently Asked Questions

home / frequently asked questions / co2 tanks CO2 Frequently asked Questions

What are the main concerns when dealing with CO2?

Warning - CO2 Can Be Dangerous!

Always connect CO2 gas cylinder to reducing valve or regulator. Failure to do so could result in an explosion with possible death or inury when the cylinder valve is opened.

Never connect gas cylinder directly to keg.

Always secure gas cylinder in "upright" position.

Always keep gas cylinder away from heat.

Never drop or throw CO2 gas cylinder.

Always ventilate after CO2 leakage.

Always check the D.O.T. (Department of Transport) test date located on the neck of the cylinder before installation. If over five (5) years, do not use, return the gas cylinder to gas supplier.

Never connect a product container unles there are two (2) safety mechanism's in the pressure system

One at or on the CO2 regulator. (the regulator supplied should be inclusive of such a safety mechanism)

One at or on the product container coupler or in the pressure gas line. (the keg coupler should be inclusive of sucha safety mechanism)

If it becomes difficult to breathe and your head starts to ache, abnormal concentrations of carbon dioxide may be present in the area. Close the main valve on the CO2 cyclinder and leave the room immediately.

Gas cylinders should be stored in the coolest part of the establishment, preferably at 70° F., and securely fastened in the upright position before the primary regulator is attached to the cylinder.

How Do I Replace an Empty CO2 Cylinder?

Close Valve by turning clockwise "A"

Unscrew adjustment screw (counter-clockwise) "B" as far as it will go.

Remove regulator from empty cylinder "E"

Remove dust cap from new cylinder at "E". Open and close valve "A" quickly to blow dust from the outlet.

With cylinder valve "A" in closed position, reattach regulator to cylinder at "E". Be sure to include the CO2 washer.

Open valve "A" all the way. (This is important because this cylinder valve seals in two places.)

Readjust regulator pressure "B" and open optional valve "C".

What size tank should I buy?

Cylidner Diameter Height Empty Weight Full Weight

2 1/2 lbs 3-1/2" 18 1/4" 6 1/2 lbs 9 lbs

5 lbs 5" 17 1/2" 12 1/2 lbs 17 1/2 lbs

It takes about 1/2 lb of CO2 to dispense a 1/2 bbl of beer. A 2 1/2 lb CO2 cylinder should dispense between 4-5 1/2 barrels or 8-10 1/4 barrels. A 5 lb CO2 cylinder should dispense between 8-10 1/2 barrels or 18-20 1/4

Budget CO2 System

Here are the sources for the stuff I used put together My CO2 system for less than 1/2 the cost of a PowerTank. Here's the parts list:

10 lb. Aluminum CO2 tank with handle (Catalina Brand) from Marine Depot 714-979-7313 (Link to Commercial site DELETED) (look under CO2 Regulator Kits then CO2 accessories) $90 + $10 shipping = $100

Model "150 Male" CO2 regulator with a 150 lb. spring from Williams Balloons & Helium in Santa Maria, CA 1-800-235-4112 $40 + 6$ shipping = $46 (you must specify 150 lb. spring *or whatever you want* when ordering, the model number & spring rate is a coincidence here) (pressure at the hose will be about 80% of the regulators spring rating, so approx. 120 lbs.)

20' (125 lb. rated) polyurethane coiled hose with swivel ends from Grainger Wholesale tools

2 Milton quick connects

1 Milton female connector

1 Milton male connector

1 Air chuck

Total for fittings & polyurethane hose was approx. $40 (the hose was 30.00) It has to be polyurethane for CO2, but you can probably find it cheaper at harbor freight or some place like that. The one from Grainger is the same brand of hose that power tank sells. I have a Grainger account if you need me to order anything.

Fire extinguisher bracket from Grainger about 35.00 mounted to my roll bar with u-bolts holds it securely.

Here's what you don't get when compared to the PowerTank: No gauges -- but these are not useful anyhow. The pressure in the tank is constant until you run out of liquid CO2 and the pressure at the hose is meaningless with a static regulator. To determine how much CO2 is left you just weigh the tank. Besides, ~120 lbs. of pressure will do everything I want it to do, inflate tires, run air tools and re-seat tires on the rim -- what CO2 does best!!! A nd the other thing you don't get is an adjustable regulator. And I really can't see any reason for it if you aren't running your ARB air locker off of it. Of course this is my opinion of what I think I will be needing on the trail.

[ 03-08-2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you can sell him rods, reels, and tackle for a lifetime." Author unknown
AMSA #852

Shorebird, that is one impressive post! Especially since I was only a few weeks away from a power tank purchase.

I have to ask... are there any safety deficits to this set-up? I'd be installing this in the back of a pick-up where summer heat is quite high. Is the regulator equal in quality to what the pt people provide? Why does the air hose have to be plastic? Does CO2 have a negative effect on tire rubber?

These questions are in no way meant to be demeaning, or critical to what you have done. It's just that in any system of this nature, safety has to be priority one.

Your comments appreciated! icon14.gif

Thanks

Jim C.
LIBBA - MSA - ASC
' You can tune a piano, but you can't Tuna fish"

Jim,

First of all I can't take credit for the article and I must confess I saw this article after I bought the powertank.I did help my buddy make one up.If you install this in your truck or the Powertank it should be vertical.The only issue is heat might cause the pressure relief valve to let off some Co2. This can happen with either setup.I don't think it would went enough to be dangerous but you could leave a window cracked open.

You might consider going to a welding supply or industrial gas house for your tank. They exchange so you don't have to wait and the hydrostatic testing is on them. The powertank regulator is cool because of the gauges but the one in the article is simple and does not include the gauges, it is of good quality. The gauges are only necessary if you run air tools or other accessories. Otherwise the pressure will be equal to the specified spring tension on the regulator, you don't need to regulate it. the gauge will not tell you if the tank is empty, you need to weight it to judge.This setup is simple and it is all you need to

I know you must use Polyurethane hoses with Co2. It doesn't hurt the tires but I think some other plastic air hoses will break down when exposed to Co2.Hope this helps.

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you can sell him rods, reels, and tackle for a lifetime." Author unknown
AMSA #852

Anyone know where I can get an air compressor built into my truck in Jersey?

I previously had an ARB compressor which lasted about 5 years before it rusted out(due to my own negligence). It would air up all 4 my 265/85/16's (33.5x10) from 10-12 psi to 33 in about 10 minutes. The Oasis compressor I have now does it in abot a minute which is comparable to the Powertank. The Oasis can also set the bead. Advantage of the Oasis is as long as you have battery power, you never run out of air. Some of the complaints I hear about Powertanks is the need to refill. Expect about 20 33in tires for the tank which is every 5 trips. Not a big deal if you wheel once or twice a month. The disadvantage of the Oasis is the price. Expect to shell out close to 800 bucks, imho, is well worth it.

Sorry! To answer your question on where, you can install it yourself. It's as simple as wiring fog lights, just have a suitable fuse/relay/switch that can handle a 30 amp load. If you are not sure, any car audio place can help.

Your biggest dilemma will be finding a place to mount the compressor and storage for the air lines.

Shorebird:

That's an honest reply. I'll give you credit for bringing it to the site anyway. Think I'll give this set-up a try. Thanks.

joeturse

I used to use a 10 gal. air tank with about 110 -115lbs of air on board. It would get me from 15 to 27-28lbs. with my 235x75x15 tires.

Jim C.
LIBBA - MSA - ASC
' You can tune a piano, but you can't Tuna fish"