Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Bed size?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I would never get anything but an 8' bed. Put a cap on it, build a bunk out of plywood and you have room to stretch out. More room for fishing gear too. I've had 1/2 ton trucks too. I would never go less then a 3/4 ton again. This gives you the option of a slide on down the road biggrin.gif. Everything in a 3/4 is bigger; breaks, frame, springs, ect. for not much more money.

------------------

John

Ronkonkoma

LIBBA 440

MSC 791

SOL 1547

Need to know what you plan to use the truck for. Both 6' and 8' have advantages but not knowing what you want to do makes it hard to reccomend. Like do you ever plan to sleep in the back? Do you ever plan to haul 4x8 plywood? How big is your garage? maybe the long bed won't fit. etc.etc.etc. Need more info.

tnbr

8' is the way to go...a few guys I know with the 6' regret not getting the 8'.

Although, I like the way the 6' looks better.

It's not as functional as the 8'

f3501.jpg

Got Truck?

------------------

L.I.B.B.A. # 1603

M.S.A. # 139

The Ford F150 CrewCab or SuperCrew only comes with one bed length and it is about 5'6". With the big 8 it has plenty of power and the best ride of all the 1/2 ton trucks.

I have one with a Leer cap that has a front fold down sliding window that matches up with the cab sliding back window. I use a clear air bladder between the two to stop the elements from getting in when I'm transporting rods hung on the caps internal rod rack. I have plenty of room for 5- 1 pcs 9' rods to pass through the windows.

I don't sleep in my truck nor do I plan on any type of slide in so the shortbed works out great for me.

I have a chevy 1500 extended cab, 6 1/2 foot bed. Before I got it I heard people commenting saying get an 8 foot bed so you can fit plywood if need be. I'll tell you with the gate open its no problem moving plywood sheetrock or whatever. The gate is another 2 foot so with that much surface area nothing slides. You can fit 8 foot pieces of 2x4 cati corner or just laying in there with the gate up. I have had the truck since 94 and have never once wished I had a bigger bed. Its a real pain parking the thing at times. I could just imagine what agrivation an additional 2 foot would be.

Dan think thats hard to park lol....try a 3/4 tpon crew cab long bed lol.....

As for bed size i like the long bed. I haul allot of stuff on a regular basis so it wroks for me. I can load up the back with plywood, 2x4 etc close the gate and its secure. WIth a 6 foot bed you have to worry abotu securing it. If oyu think hauling 10 sheets of plywood that the tops sheets wont slide think againsmile.gif yesterday I hauled aload of 10 and 12 foot sheet rock for me and a friend. But if your not gonna be hauling like this then you dont need a long bed.

If your not gonna sleep inthe back like I did, then you dont need a long bed (unless your 5 foot nothign and can lay in short bed.

My bed is a little over 10 feet with the tailgate down. a 150 with ah short bed (toy truck wink.gif) is great for people who need more rrom than an SUV but dont want or need the full size truck. For the kinda places you will fish I would go short bed, but thats jjsut me. HAving had my beast on those same beaches, I know if i was there all the itme a smaller truck woudl be nice.

One other comment the bed onthe crew cab 150 is a total joke. Its what? 5 feet or so? I would go extended cab short bed before I bought that crew cab. I found the cab really cramped. Of course I am not small and I liek to strectchout smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by John M (edited 02-09-2003).]

I've had a short bed pu for over 20 years and only 1 or twice wished for more room.

A half ton is easily overloaded with cargo- the long bed makes it a lot easier to overload. The shorter wheelbases always seem easier to drive and don't have the drive line lag when starting from a complete stop.

The bed in my Dakota is 6'6" and it's just long enough for me (6'1"), to comfortably sleep.

I can sleep 2-3 hours at a time up front. However, when it's time to recharge, I climb in the back and snooze like a champ.

I suppose it depends how long you typically stay away.

gad

I sleep quite comfortably in the driver's seat of my Explorer, and rarely spend even a full night on the beach. My MO, when there a full night at all, is to arrive early and go to sleep. By the time the alarm goes off at 2:00 a.m. the boys who fished dusk and the first hours of the night will be asleep in their camper vans, the party boats at Fire Island Inlet are no longer blasting the Shore Thumb with spotlights, the parade of headlights (aaaugh) along the beach is over ... that's my preferred window, for the plugging or fly casting I like to do. A crew cab offers all the sleeping room I really need - give me a full length bed and I'd sleep through dawn, anyway. The F 150 crew has a short bed only, 5 1/2 only, and while that's a wee snug for a camper, it'll accomodate a cooler and some boxes for stuff quite nicely. Dusky, it's a a big investment, and I'm cautious by nature. Durn right I am proceeding carefully. So far, no reason to look to a longer bed.

This is my first vehicle with a short bed(Toyota) after driving a full sized pickup and a full sized van for 20+ years.

Bed is 6'...............and I'm 6'.I've slept back the with no problem but prefer to sleep up front.Seats are very comfortable and .........well...........I can sleep anywhere when it's time for some shuteye wink.gif

I don't miss my full sized beds................but would get back to them if and when I would want a camper on back.

If you're comfortable in an Explorer the 150 will be like driving down the road on your couch. If you don't have the need to regularly carry three or four passengers I'd opt for the extended cab with the 8' bed. If you need the CrewCab - you need a cap. The cap is the only way to make that short short bed work for a fisherman