Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diamondwrapper

My porch is done.

35 posts in this topic

Went to a Blues concert yesterday and put two 50 qt coolers full of ice and other goodies back there. Worked like a charm. Made a couple of removable wooden clips to hold the coolers in place. They slide in between the spaces of the wood. I used 1/8 angle on some leftover 1X2.

Looks great! The thinwall tubing will rust where it has been cut and drilled. I am an electrician and have used a cold galvanized spray paint for outdoor stuff that had had its finnish cut or ground off. Salt spray will get it quick. CRC is one maker of the spray paint, it is gray in color, and won't be very noticeable. When I have to drill some round tubing or round object I file a small flat spot and use a small bit and go up in size. If the tubing rusts you can try 1/2 inch aluminum tubing. I like your work, don't own a pickup but in the future I may be using some of your ideas.

cfisher , I hear what you're saying about the rust. I wanted to get the job done for last weekend so the thinwall was the answer. It keeps the porch from bouncing but I am worried about the holes stretching out. I was going to epoxy some wooden dowels in the tubes near the holes and drill right through. My brother came by and told me that he could get 1" stainless. That would be nice but we have to see if he can get it first. I had a tought today while at work. My hose for dumping the tanks is very short because of the spot where you store it. I might make a bracket under the porch to hold a long piece of PVC pipe with screw in caps so I can put a longer sewer pipe in there. Some of the Lance bumpers are made for this.

Beautiful job DW! I'm a big believer in doing your own customizing to make your buggy better, so it's no surprise I enjoyed your walk-through!

icon14.gif

Now I gotta go home and build something on MY truck... wink.gif

When I left New York last October I gave away enough angle to complete one of these. Sorry cwm31.gif .

Nice to see this show up after nine years. I did some on dual wheel air hoses too plus one about installing an air tank in the frame.