Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surf dweller

Dually Tire Pressure

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering what some of you 4x4dually guy'sare running for pressure in soft sand?

Do you run the back lower than the front?

I have a 250 ford and a 3500 gmc dually but I seem to favor the 250 , maybe I need to get the pressure right.

Reccomendations please smile.gif

------------------

bassfight.gif

I ran a 2 wheel drive 24' class C motor home with duallys on the beaches last year. I usually ran 12 in the front and 15 to 18 in the rear. I can honestly tell you that in ran the beach at least as well as my previous motor home which was 4wd.

I run a 26 foot class A 4x4 motorhome.

Run 235-85-16inch, 16# all around.

Got a buddy with a f350 dually runs same size tires.. 16 with the camper on, 12 with it off. This is in sugar soft sand, your beaches may be different.

I run Long Island beaches and I go 18# in the front and 20 # in the rear. You have to be careful about going too low because the rear wheels will rub together and you will be headed for big trouble.

I check the engine temperature all the time and the truck runs fine at those pressures. I change the tranny fluid twice a year just to be on the safe side.

------------------

John

Ronkonkoma

LIBBA 440

MSA 791

NCBBA 9557

SOL 1547

Like I said, all beaches are different.

Here on the cape, we have a couple of beaches with "sugar" soft sand, and you have to run low pressure. My local tire dealer, plus my mechanic have assured me that as long as you are off pavement, or hard pack, no problem on the tires touching. As the tire guy said, if they are touching in the sand, you get a softer, and wider footprint.

I would imagine if the rims touched, it would be nasty, but, not enough room, unless the lugs are loose. I've run duallys with the same tires for 5 summers out there, that way, NO problems. Some guys I know have been doing it over 10 years, no problem. People from away that come here with duallys,and some without, are leary of letting them down that low, they dig, dig, dig, up my beach. Now, thats a problem.

Like I said, all beaches are different,if you have harder sand, or hard pack, no need to air down low, understood.

But, please, when you are here, in the sugar,

AIR them down. Thank you.

I run a 32' motorhome with duallies.

15 psi in the rears. I have even towed my F250 Diesel with it on the beach.

Goes like a bat out of hell.

BeachTowedJR.jpg

Pulled it a mile and a half over the sand with ease.

------------------

JayR

fish045%5B1%5D.gif

One other word of caution. Heavy vehicle tend to have some pretty tough tires. Stay away from the ones with steel belted side walls.

In the real soft stuff you must air down real low at times. All that creasing of the side wall will damage the belt and lead to tire blow-outs.

Believe me. I speak from experience. Blew out 4 of the six before I broke down and replaced the remaining ones. Polyester sidewalls are no issue. I have had them down to 8 PSI to get around some idiot with hard tires and then ran the vehicle over the road (slowly) for 2 miles. Nothing bad to report. And, we are talking about an 8 ton vehicle.

Would you believe I lost the brakes on that motorhome atop the Sagamore Bridge doing 60?

Well, I went through the rotary on 2 wheels and managed to roll to a stop by the McD's and Dunkin Donuts. My wife was following me in the truck and saw the whole thing (9 months pregnant to boot). Didn't hit a thing. Close, but not accident. Thought I was dead!

------------------

JayR

fish045%5B1%5D.gif

On 4/5/2003 at 9:21 AM, J said:

I run a 32' motorhome with duallies.

15 psi in the rears. I have even towed my F250 Diesel with it on the beach.

Goes like a bat out of hell.

BeachTowedJR.jpg

Pulled it a mile and a half over the sand with ease.

------------------

JayR

fish045%5B1%5D.gif

J - this is exactly what I'm looking to do but on a just slightly smaller scale, like 26".

Shoot me a PM we gotta talk !!