Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THEKID

Clamming.... Never done it, but want to. HOW?!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Guys, fill me in on this one. I'll be out with my cousin this coming week and we'd like to clam a bed that we recently found. How do I do it? Can I use a garden rake instead of a clam rake?

Thanks!

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

I've done it years ago and i remember getting bit a lot by crabs. We brought a rake but using our bare feet seemed to work better. Couple of things you might want to investigate, the limit, licensing, and contamination issues. Some areas are not safe for eating. I'm looking forward to responses on this thread myself as I love steamed clams and a cold beer myself!

Check the regs! Last time I was clamming was a while back on the Cape and they take shellfish regs very seriously there. Not sure about down here.

used to do it a long time ago in the eastern part of long island...the clams were safe to eat, then...dunno about today.

You don't need a rake...just use your feet...walk around in the muck until you feel what seems to be a rock..reach down and pick it up.

Kid, Clamming is one of my favorite pastimes at the Jersey Shore. You need to get a Rec. license (not too pricey if I recall..I don't know exactly because my uncle always picks them up for us) you will recieve a booklet that has all the info. Bob_E referenced. After that if you have found a bed, wait till the tide is right (the water is not over your head) jump in with barefeet (Good Mud!) and do a slow backwards 'shuffle'. You will feel the clams under you feet as lumps...dive down and dig them out (I use my hands). Crabs leave you alone if you shuffle, the real danger is kicking some barnacle encrusted rocks (heels are tougher than toes, but it still hurts). The clams are usually only a few inches down and they usually come in bunches, so when you find one work the area well. We usually tie an inner tube with a burlap bag around us so you don't have to keep going back to the boat. My only expierence has been in Barnegat bay which was mostly mud (rakes don't work well in mud IMHO). Good luck and hope you get a bunch!

P.S. The black under your toes and fingers is quickly removed in the sand of the surf.

KenK

Here is a link to some info on NJ clamming licenses.

http://www.scottsbt.com/misc/license.htm

[This message has been edited by KenK (edited 07-24-2001).]

NO you need a clam rake. regular rakes might dig them up but wont collect the clams.

Clam rakes have longer angled teeth on them than a regular lawn rake plus a collecting basket to hold the clams.

If you are going to spend the time you might as well maximize your labor and do it right.

If you do decide to use a regular rake I guess you can always pick the clams with y our toes. Good luck.

I had an East Hampton clamming license. I think it cost of whopping $5, but I ended up never even trying. So much easier to just show up at some restaurant, and for $13 or so you get a bucket of steamers with broth and butter, plus a Corona with lime. No mud and no crabs. But if you are into it, maybe I'll renew my license and maybe we'll try this fall. There are plenty of spots, i even had a map of the clam beds, and I see folks diggin emall the time. Lemme know.

A guy from work used to take me out once or twice a season. We used our feet. You can buy little rubber booties to keep them from getting cut up. We clammed in waist to almost neck deep water. We used a diving belt to help you get down to the clams easier once you felt them with your feet doing that backwards shuffle someone mentioned. Inner tube with a basket to hold them. I think your allowed 150 in New Jersey.

Ive always used my bare feet to feel em, then just pick em up. true, there are many crabs that you feel, but once you get over the immense pain of your pinky toe throbbing, youll reward yourself with a plethora of clams on the half shell and an Ice cold LITE ICE... or Mikes hard lemonade.. woohoo

Forget the work, go to causeway, they sell fresh shucked bushel and half busshells, but wait untill you hear of some beach dregging, last year at the back of breezy, SLAY TIME for me and a bud with CONSISTANT bass upto 26 lbs with plenty of high teen and 20# fish. It creates a natural chum slick.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSES SHELLFISH WITHOUT A PERMIT

That being said, go down on the south shore, I go to "Sleezy Breezy point, after some high winds and tide surge, and I would fill one of my side coolers in 10 minutes with all of the clams I could fit, go back to the back side, shuck&slam. Can be done anywhere there is a dredge.

ML

SORRY DUDE, just reread the original,

I clammed louse point(East HAmpton) for 10 years as a kid/tenn for beer money during the summer, we did this with a clam rake, you have to find a decent muddt area, and dig as deep as the tines and pull at the same time(i rest the long handle on my shoulder) and walk backwards, shaking the basket while still under water, you will feel rocks and eventually you will get to know the difference, and how many clams are in the basket. Lift the basket leaving 1/3 of it in the water and shake vigorously till all of the muck is off the rocks/clams.

On a regulation rake the space is the right size to let the illegal sized ones fall out, but get a gauge( I think it is the law to carry one while clamming, as whatever fits through the gauge is too small to keep.

[This message has been edited by Mike Lang (edited 07-25-2001).]