Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shutterfish

effect of hooking a fish...

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I LOVE to fish. I know pretty much everyone else here loves to as well (wild guess wink.gif). But lately I have had an increasing level of guilt associated with all of these fish who's mouths I am hooking in to. And if it isn't the mouth, it's the eyes or wherever. Then there's the stress of getting hooked, etc. I have heard a lot of theories, but I'd like to know what you all know about the harmful effects fishing has on the fish. I fish every day (mostly freshwater) and catch lots of fish, but lately after every thrilling catch, I just feel bad about wrestling a well sunk hook out of the fish's mouth. Anyway, just thought I would put this out there- clear my conscience a bit.

Shutterfish

Gross out... don't read any further if you're squeamish. cwm24.gif

I'm casting a modified half ounce silver Kastmaster off the beach in Bermuda, maybe 40-50 yds offshore and reeling it back in normal. I'm getting taps and follows, but no hookups. So, I decide to use a fast retrieve and skip it back on the surface, figuring the fish can see the lure too clearly in crystal clear water.

Out it goes, and I start the retrieve. It comes to the surface and skips maybe three or four times, and the water explodes, the rod flexs momentarily and goes limp. When I bring the lure up outta the water for another cast, there's a complete eyeball, about the size of a dime, impaled on two of the treble hooks.

Now, that had to hurt.

Shutterfish,

If you feel badly, try using barbless hooks. Gotta hurt a bit less I would think.

And always remember that the bible says that we, mankind, were given dominion over the animals. Also, when Noah left the ark, they were told, by the Lord, to use the animals as food.

So enjoy and God's will be done.

Spigola

[This message has been edited by Spigola (edited 08-29-2002).]

If you're releasing it, whatever you do to the fish is nothing to the things that fish did to the other dozen critters it ate earlier that day. Double that if it was a blue. If you want to be a part of nature, well, then, you're gonna have to be a part of nature.

Get a degree in dentistry......or not! Unless you deepthroat it where there are organs involved or get a gil or a lot of blood, fish are very resilient. I've landed fish with major damage from a previous battle i.e. one eye, fin missing, gashes and they're still kicking.

What I was going to say has already been posted- barbless hooks cause much less damage and are far easier to remove. Also, that's the way of nature- predator and prey.

Since you mentioned PETA, when I was in Africa a few years ago I happened to see two lions stalking a group of gazelle. I couldn't help picturing in my mind a PETA member with a sign protesting against barbaric meat eaters. smile.gif

Shutterfish---

I do know that fish heal very well. However, I have read that if a fish's eye is damaged by the hook, the mortality rate goes up significantly.

Of course, gut and gil hooked fish are also at risk. And even touching the gills can result in death.

Since you feel guilty about injuring fish I assume that you are already doing everything in your power to increase the likelihood that your released fish survive, unlike some people who I have seen tossing fish in the water (or into a rock!) with a complete lack of respect; after stepping on it to unhook it.

You're the type of person I enjoy fishing with. Tight Lines!

We'll talk on Saturday. okay?

------------------

Peter

Striper Surf Club, Inc.

When you think of all of the things that stripers eat---namely hard shelled crabs, mussels, lobsters, and fish with sharp, pointy spines on their fins---ask yourself, "how many nerve endings do they have in their mouths to begin with?" Then think about whether a sharp, pointy little piece of metal really hurts them all that much by comparison wink.gif

I've trolled for Spanish off the back of party boats before on the way to the fishing grounds, and they don't stop if you hook up, so you have to reel the fish in going 15 knots, and I've come back with lips, eyeballs, ect..Don't do that anymore cwm24.gif

Stripers are pretty resilent in recovering from hook-ups so don't worry. I am sure he is happy that you let him go. wink.gif

On fish that are hooked badly,and the chances for survival look bad, then those are the fish I normally keep.

Hmm I wonder how those anchovies feel getting crushed by a stripers mouth?

Slam your finger in the car door and try to pull it out....It hurts but you get over it so do the fish...LOL

Eddie

Just a joke thats all.......

------------------

the_end2.jpg

Honestly, I don't worry about it. Things happen in nature that are equally, if not more cruel. Obviously I'm as careful as I can be when releasing or handling a fish, but beyond that, I guess that I have no conscience.