Drop-shottin' & jigging preferences...

Jeff B

Anyone give the drop-shotting technique a try yet? Read a boatload of articles and saw a good demo by a basspro at the Suffern show last year, but didn't give it whirl so far.

I really enjoy tube jiggin as well as worming and regular jigs and will be giving the drop-shot a go soon.

What's your preferred jig method y'all?

------------------

Learn C.P.R.(Catch,Photo,Release)

JeffB

[This message has been edited by Jeff B (edited 01-07-2001).]

JB ;-)

Drop shotting is a great way to fish for bottom relating suspended fish. I've used it with some success (mosty pesky white perch grabbing it). Going to give it a shot going for Walleyes this spring though. Some guys think this could be great for eyes that are hanging right above bottom. I' rig it with split shots as my dropper wieght so if I do loose them..oh well. Tie a loop for attaching the lure, just like Saltwater teasers, so the lure has realistic action.

Carolina rigging is still my favorite way to present plastics though. Brass sinker, glass bead, and a wide gap hook. Favorite offerings include, ring worms, Fin-s fish and Berkly Power sandworms

As for jigging. A Stanley Jig with a pork trailer is still my old stand by. Black/blue, and Black/brown are the only colors I use.

If ya think about alot of people have been usin the "drop shot" way of fishing for a long time. How much differant is it than putting a jig on W/ a teaser 4 ft. above? Have you ever took the hooks off of a Hopkins and all it was used for was to get yer teaser out there?

We did it a long time ago, never new it had a name, the only differance was we tyed a dropper loop for our hook instead of a palomer knot as I read in this months bassmasters. And we used a bullet type weight and just tyed it off.

But here is the good part, it will catch fish, better that other ways, I don't think so. IMHO some guy(s) won some money on the B.A.S.S. tour doin it and now it's some big deal......

Jiggin, I love to pitch and like to flip. I'm a big fan of the strike king flippin tubes. If I'm goin to do alot of jig fishin on any givin day, I'll have 2 rigs on the deck.

1) a 7-6 heavy up to 1 OZ. this is for tubes.

2) a 7-6 Xheavy to 2 OZ. this I'll use for the jig and pigs.

Ed J

[This message has been edited by Ed J (edited 01-08-2001).]

Not familar with drop-shotting. My favorite is zipperworms. A couple of years ago I started rigging them with a short section of wire (tired of big pickerel getting away). Worked great. Gave it just enough weight to get down faster, deadly when used with very lite spin gear and braided line. When fishing smallies I love Creme Little Fishies, 2.5" & 1.5" size. With either a small leadhead or rigged banjo minnow style. Many of my biggest smallies have come on the 1.5. The ones that didn't come on the Fishie took a zipper. Also got a 16.5" crappie on a zipper last year. Surprised the &(*&( out of me!

I hear ya about the pickeral, JonS. I've had a large number of pickeral maul the snot out my 3"Bassinman tube jigs this past year. I work the docks and edges of Hopatcong spring thru fall. I would have a nice pickeral attack the thing but not get hooked unless I let them run a bit. But that sometimes resulted in break-offs with them slicing the mono/braid (not to mention the occasional muskie/tiger that would nearly rip everthing from jig to shoulder socket out!!!biggrin.gif < big fun!)

Ahhhhhhhhhh, tight lines soon enough!

------------------

Learn C.P.R.(Catch,Photo,Release)

JeffB

JB ;-)