Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Larry R

What type Line when Bass fishing???????????

21 posts in this topic

When Bass fishing what type of line do you use on spinning reels?

Baitcasters?

Brand name?

Do you use a leader?

What type of leader, mono, floucarbon?

Pros and Cons?

------------------

Larry R.

I like braids. Favorite is Whiplash but they've discontinued the 20 and 30 so PowerPro is my choice now. Fireline third and spiderwire fourth. For bass I sometimes use a leader of flourocarbon tied directly to the braid. I like to fish plastics alot and with braid I can detect and set the hook at 150'. Couldn't do that with mono.

Really, It depends.

Heavy cover with god only knows what hitting? 50 lb power pro on the baitcasters and 20 on the spinners. I don't like loosing fish biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif You can run 20lb PP all around, but I KNOW that they won't break 50.

Sometimes I'll run a short leader of 20lb floro if the fish are spooky. If there's toothy ones around then I make a 24" black nylon coated 12lb wire leader. Dosn't seem to spook the bass either. In fact my biggest bass hit a Pike spoon with a wire leader last year.

Worm'n, Jigg'n? 10 pound Triline XT green. Unless its heavy cover agian, then I go with 17lb XT. Carolina Rigging is done with 20lb Power Pro as a main line and 10 lb floro for a leader

Super finness fishing? 6lb Triline XL clear or green

I keep hearing about Whiplash but can't find it anywhere? It isn't even in Cabellas or Bass pro shops? I use 14 lb Sensithin on my bouncer/Pike rod, and Power Pro 2/10 on my spin outfits.

I do alot of finese fishing..and my favorite line...by FAR..is stren easy cast. It's not teh best for abrasion resistance..but when a supple..soft line is needed..that's my choice. I used to use trilene XL for such situations. Easy Cast on a daiwa emblem X type reel all equals no spinning reel nests. I don't like regular stren at all. *had to say that tongue.gif* This is important to me because I fish alot of very light stuff which causes such tangles. I use 6 and 8 pound test mostly..sometimes 10. On my baitcasters I use 10 to 14..usually trilene XL. I have used spiderwire braid...but I'm not a braid guy in fresh water. It has it's uses..like pad fields and heavy cover..etc...but I prefer mono. I find that it sucks the action out of the small stuff I use..and the mono suits me just fine. I really like whiplash...but I've only used it for saltwater. DougC

I use 8lb. Silver Thread on my spinning reels. Where I fish (Prospect Park in Brooklyn) there is not much cover and the water is usually crystal clear (except the past year) until June/July. Silver Thread is a copolymer and in my opinion is a better choice than using a mono.

I'm not big on changing line - maybe twice a year - but I have no problems with line breaking, knots, and there is not much memory.

Just my preference, Billy

Depends on what I'm doin,

Crank baits and worms W/ bait casters 10 to 14# Tripple fish Camo (TFC)

Flippin / pitchin 20 to 25# TFC

Spinner bait 10-50 Spiderwire W/ no leader

C-rig 20# Fire Line W/ 12# Vanish leader

#8 Magna thin for the one spinner I carry

Will sometimes coat my line with flyline float, or atleast the last 10 to 15 ft. when fishin a top water.

Ed J

Spin Rod:

Jigging: Fireline 10 or 14 lb.

Crankbait or blades: Trilene XL 12 lb, or Magna Thin

Worming: 10 lb Fireline w/ mono leader

Finesse: 8lb Fireline w/ mono leader

Casting Rod:

Crankbait, blades, topwater: 12-14 lb. Trilene XL or XT

Larry, I am sure you are totally confused by now, what can be inferred from all these replys is that you have to find what you like best for the various applications. On my spinners for worm and other soft plastics I use Trilene XL 8-10lb., if the fish are spooky or water very clear I will use Stren Magnathin 6lb., it also depends on the structure/cover that I am fishing. For example I would not use 6lb. Magnathin if I were fishing the pads or thick coontail. You have to experiment but at least you have some ideas. I also like Trilene Tournament 12 lb. in the photochrome color for my baitcsting reels, its low visability, abrasion resistent and fairly supple. As far as leaders, I don't like to use them in fresh water but when the toothy ones are are tearing out of the pads and cutting your line like wet toilet paper I go with some flourocarbon. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by BassAssasin (edited 01-12-2001).]

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

10 years ago

Lots changed

Not necessarily. I'm still using the same Mitchell 300's for freshwater fishing I did in ten years ago ... and as far back as the 1960's, truth to tell, with 8 to 10 pound mono.

They still catch fish as well today as they did back then --- provided I do my part ...

Why replace them with some "latest and greatest" that (from what I've read on here), cost a "fortune" (based on income, of course) and may not last but one or two seasons?

Honestly though, if I could afford a spool full of 8 to 10 pound super braid, and the reels were "braid friendly" ...

(remember, the line "roller" on a Mitchell 300 series might make one complete revolution in the seventy plus year "useable life" of the reel. They are not "braid friendly" by any stretch of the imagination, without a P.U.M., which so far as I know was only available for the larger Mitchell spinning reels like the 302.)

I might have upgraded to a braided line at some point over the years. :)

Edited by afishhunter

On 1/10/2001 at 11:06 AM, Billy 40 said:

I use 8lb. Silver Thread on my spinning reels. Where I fish (Prospect Park in Brooklyn) there is not much cover and the water is usually crystal clear (except the past year) until June/July. Silver Thread is a copolymer and in my opinion is a better choice than using a mono.

I'm not big on changing line - maybe twice a year - but I have no problems with line breaking, knots, and there is not much memory.

Just my preference, Billy

I use 8, 10 and 12 Silver thread. Its a smooth great casting 7 durable line. I dont see it for sale at the usual spots i used to buy it. Who still sells it?