pike,tiger muskies in deal lake

tom cullen

good morning, i'm planning to fish deal lake this spring for pike and/or tigers.does anyone have any experience on the lke they would be willing to share. i'll be fishing from shore, probably with a big spinnerbait or big sluggo. just looking to see if anyone has had success on the lake not locations i'll hopefully find them myself. thanks in advance tom cullen

Welcome Tom!

Deal Lake? no. Pike and Muskies? Yes.

Start fishing as soon as there is enough open water to get a bait wet. Pike Spawn First and will sneak right up into the shallows under the ice. A deadly trick is to toss your spinnerbait right up on the ice and let it flutter down once it hits open water. HANG ON!!

Tigers don't spawn, but they'll go through the motions sometimes. Smaller Mepps Muskie Killers and Size 4 or 5 Algias in god awful colors or black seem to get the attention of tigers early in the year. Look for follows and change direction if you see that you've got there intrest. A sudden direction change triggers alot of hits.

Of course there's dead bait too, just rig it with quick strike rigs, stuff some cork down its gullet to make it float and fish it close to bottom.

From what I've heard, you'll find them toothy bastages all the way up in the fingers of Deal Lake. And yes Brian, it can get real scuzzy back there, yuck!

I've never caught one in that lake, but I've heard stories. It only makes sense, there is (or at least used to be) a substantial herring run up that lake in the spring...I bet ya them toothy bastages stuff themselves with the tired and weary herring!

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

First catch a bluegill. Then,live line him (or her) in the lilly pads behind the football field. Tigers are in there.

BIG Carp up by the golf course (Dough balls) Big mouth Bass everywhere, (They like the fallen timber) Black anything works good, Jigs & pigs, Texas Rigged rubber worms.

West of the tracks best overall in my exp. Good Luck! There are some big'uns in there!

Crash thats funny because I once spoke with a guy who claimed that he saw a small dog go to fetch a stick in a lake in Pa and next thing he knows there was a huge explosion. He claimed a Musky got the dog. This was just hearsay from some guy but I guess it was possible. I can't even imagine how the owner would react cwm24.gif .

BrianZ yea I would like to hear more about this. I have never caught a musky or a pike before. That would give me something to do when the stripers aren't hitting well.

[This message has been edited by Supafly (edited 02-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Supafly (edited 02-14-2001).]

OK Guys,

I just got off the phone with a nice guy from the NJFG&W, He said that they started stocking N.pike in Deal in '89 and T.muskies in '90and 91 and then back to N.pike in '92 and alternated ever since between the 2 every year. the totals not counting 2000 are 12792 N.Pike and 8238 Tiger Muskies. The department has gotten confirmed 10lbers of both but that was all I got, He was very curious about my pike catching abilities and I told him I'm no good but I know this guy Crash thats when the conversation took a turn and he hurried me off the phone saying that he had to go feed the brookies before they start boiling wink.gif