eelslinger

Night Tides book review

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Night Tides

The Striper Fishing Legend of Billy the Greek

by Michael G. Cinquemani

I read this on the weekend.

The author never captures what motivates this guy to spend 1800 hours a year bass fishing. There is a lot of repetition about how great he is and how lesser mortals need not apply. There is no denying he has caught and seen some great bass but I was looking for his ideas on how he relates to nature, fishing and himself. There are no ideas or emotional imagery in this book comparable to Reading the Water by Post. Stories of bass caught and lost are few and minimally told. Surely a guy that catches 5000 fish a year and has multiple 50 lbers has a load of stories to tell. It may not have been entirely the author's fault for as he says midway in the book "I am facing a real dilemma: Billy has me sworn to secrecy. Secrecy about everything". That said this book is still going to cause a rush to bridges, next fall, which seems to have been his biggest secret.

I suppose it is likely this book will cement his record of having caught some great fish, and maybe that is all he wanted, but it seems a loss that it was not better told. While not a great striper book, at least, it is a striper book. They are almost as rare as 50 lbers and we all need more of both.

[This message has been edited by eelslinger (edited 12-16-2002).]

Where can I get a copy? I wanna read it meself....

I've heard this guy talk at seminars and if there is one guy who can get a whole roomful of people salivating on the edge of their seats about striper fishing (from a boat) it's Billy.

I'm shocked actually that someone found the book mediocre at best. Not to take anything away from the review... I thank you for posting you're views but I definitely NEED A COPY of this one.....

Night Tides

The Striper Fishing Legend of Billy the Greek

by Michael G. Cinquemani

I read this on the weekend.

The author never captures what motivates this guy to spend 1800 hours a year bass fishing.

[This message has been edited by eelslinger (edited 12-16-2002).]

Eelslinger...What book did you read? From front to back the Author states that Bill Legakis's life quest or purpose is to catch a world record Bass. The book chroncicles the life and times of a Big Bass fisherman and his one mission in life. I thought that message was well represented by Mike Cinquemani.

Just My .02

The Squidder

GeorgeK

Much like the author, we as the audience are allowed inside Billy's secret circle for awhile, permitted to take a peek around, and are then asked to kindly (or maybe not so kindly wink.gif) to leave him to his business. That's how he operates & that's what has made him so successful at catching large bass. There's obviously so much more that we as the general public will never know.

The thing that struck me while reading the book is that anyone who is willing to put in the time & do the work can be successful at catching some big fish. The places he fishes & the methods he uses are not a secret by any standard. He simply fishes hard, fishes often, draws on his experience and adapts to the conditions at hand.

I enjoyed my peek & respect his secretive methods. I hope he attains his goal of the world record - if he hasn't already.

[This message has been edited by vinnyb (edited 12-18-2002).]

Squidder

Yes, that is the stated premise but that was the problem. It was stated not explored. The book was advertised as entertainment but that was its weak point. In fact, he berated other fisherman as googans even though that would be the majority of his audience. As an outsider who never heard of this guy before, I was evaluating the book on its merits as a book. I expected anyone who knew of him as a local hero might be offended but I am a long time of outdoor writing and described it as I saw it.

[This message has been edited by eelslinger (edited 12-17-2002).]

whats up everybody ? did you like the book? I hope so . i haevnt read it yet but , i do know some interesting facts . i see you guys are talking about how bill would like to break the world record . well to be honest , he has stated tha hed like to break the record twice . why? to prove that he has the skill and ability to consistently catch the lagest striped bass possible . what did you guys think of that picture of bill in front of the gigantic boil from a huge bass . what picture ! did you see the picture of frank dominick (God rest his soul) , that fish he is holding is over 60 lbs. notice something in all the pictures ...... the age of bill . some pics were of him when he was 15 , 20 ,25 , 35 , 45 ... thats how long bill has been catching bass ...thats over 30 yrs . you can visibly seen the difference in his age in all the pictures . Believe what you want to believe , for all words written are true . I DO KNOW THIS FOR A FACT . bill tells it like it is . NO BS . I ve know bill about 10 yrs now , i ve seen enough to know . congadulations bill ....this is something you deserve you definitly earned this and my respect as a true master ....one of the grasshoppers ......Joe Z

I enjoyed the book ! Its different than the other striper books I've red by Frank Daignault. I thought it was entertaining .

If you had a choice to step into someones shoes and live their life for a time period who would it be ? Well, living " The Greeks " would rank high on my list.

------------------

I enjoyed the book ! Its different than the other striper books I've red by Frank Daignault. I thought it was entertaining .

If you had a choice to step into someones shoes and live their life for a time period who would it be ? Well, living " The Greeks " would rank high on my list.

And a BIGGER difference is a ton of those fish, even a certain pic wink.gif was up untill last season, not 2 decades ago.

------------------

4thsquad3.jpgusa3.gif

My $0.02

Boy ,were do you begin ?The pictures ?They alone are worth the price of the book.Don't think there is another fellow on eastern seaboard who does a better job on big fish than Billy.

Unfortunately that's the best part of the book. I found the book extremely poorly written and would bet $$$ that if it wasn't published by the author it would never see the light at day.Let just say I don't have much to say about authors writing skills.

I agree with "Eellslinger" 100%.The author never seems to get a handle of what makes Billy tick.Its a shame because the guy with that many "large "should have story to tell.So unless you want to look at some pictures ,save your money.By far the worst "bass" book I ever picked up.

PS

Quote from the book

"Since the early 1970's Billy the Greek Legakis has personally landed no fewer that twenty-five hundred striped bass in excess of twenty pounds each and every season "

Hmmmmm...

Let me see , from April first to (generous ) December 31 there are 248 days

that would mean 10 bass over 20 lb each and every day of the season.

Yeah , right ........

It gets better

" In 1998 , the best and most productive year of the past decade for him , Billy landed over sixty-five hundred striped bass, "

Now let me get this strait , this is the same guy that tell you "I walk away from anything under 30lb" right ?

You do the math.

My $0.02

PS

Quote from the book

"Since the early 1970's Billy the Greek Legakis has personally landed no fewer that twenty-five hundred striped bass in excess of twenty pounds each and every season "

Hmmmmm...

Let me see , from April first to (generous ) December 31 there are 248 days

that would mean 10 bass over 20 lb each and every day of the season.

Yeah , right ........

It gets better

" In 1998 , the best and most productive year of the past decade for him , Billy landed over sixty-five hundred striped bass, "

Now let me get this strait , this is the same guy that tell you "I walk away from anything under 30lb" right ?

You do the math.

Z, Sounds like you don't beleive it. That's ok.....nice review.

Squidder

Not for nothing but if you put that amount of quality time in and dont do a number of 20# cwm27.gif fish EVERY MONTH-give it up and go trout fishing. REMEMBER he does both boat AND surf rolleyes.gif seven days a week.

Part of the ambiguity of the book is from disbeliefe. Thats a good thing icon14.gif

Oh well, I can say I fish with him and see what goes on when others are dumbfounded, and luckily the number of "us" wont get any bigger biggrin.gif

I hold the same principals, those who try to discredit someone successful will always sound like a crybaby cwm14.gifcwm27.gif

Successful striper fishing is very different from handlining fish to cover a diner plate! Take it for what its worth and move on, you should learn something from EVERY interaction in life, pro and con .

Mike L.

------------------

4thsquad3.jpgusa3.gif

I wonder why you have to reply or defend just about any comments made about people your might now as if other people are not entitled to their own opinions.Of course your first reaction after reading a lousy book like this would be "wow , you the man"..

But some of us actually appreciate a honest opinion about the subject.How about that , honesty , huh ?Strange fellows we must be.To actually voice how we feel.That's a no-no this days.Definitely not a PC thing to do.

Please stop referring to anyone who makes a contrary post on any other subject on this site as crybaby , we cant all be back slapping all the time.Where would the fun be in that ? lol

This place would get very boring

[This message has been edited by Z (edited 01-11-2003).]

Not for nothing but if you put that amount of quality time in and dont do a number of 20# cwm27.gif fish EVERY MONTH-give it up and go trout fishing. REMEMBER he does both boat AND surf rolleyes.gif seven days a week.

Mike L.

10 bass over 20lb every single day from April 1 to December 31

That's 248 days in a row and for every day you miss you got to double up.So if you don't fish for 3 days because let say your kid is sick you need to get 40 bass over 20 pounds to keep pace,the next time you go out.Still with me ?

I might sound like a crybaby to you and although you are entitled you your own opinion (but you don't appreciate someone airing a opposing one ,of course) I refuse to be feed garbage as this author is spewing here.

PS

You are the winner of NYSFC and one of the hardest fishing members of surf community.Most of the people on this site know you catch a LOT of fish and plenty of big ones two.I would bet that you fish more often than Billy.

So tell me how come you only have put in 41 bass over 20 pounds for this year in the contest ?Some will say that some fish didn't make the cutoff.Fine , lets double your catch to 82 bass over 20lb (I am being generous).

So the hardest fishing guy in the contest (who by the way fishes same locations) has 82 while Billy gets 2500.

Ok , Mike , whatever you say.

I suggest you take the blinders off (at least once in a while)

As far as the fact that he boat fishes , fine. Jones inlet is not exactly Montauk.

PS

Originally my posy only dealt with author inability to tell a story and not with caliber of the fisherman that Billy is.

According to some people that's a no-no , only the agreeable post should be made.

As one of my favorite characters on the old show (Homey the Clown) use to say

"Homey , don't play that"