Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MeanJean

anybody direct a new mass fisherman to the right place

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to striper fishing.

I went down to falmuth this last weekend and tried striper fishing for the first time. I fished from a boat concentrating on channels and also from a dock on some river where the guy at the bait shop said some fish were running during tide movements. I heard rumors that soft plastic fish looking things from storm were the lures to use. I struck out. I realized I had no idea to catch a striper.

So I was wondering if somebody could direct me to a link or two for the basics on Mass striper fishing. Perhaps something that suggests baits, locations, and equipment as that I've been primarilty a large mouth/trout person before. I'm guessing that a large striper will strip my 12 lb. test off my black max 1600.

Thanks for any help

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to striper fishing.

I went down to falmuth this last weekend and tried striper fishing for the first time. I fished from a boat concentrating on channels and also from a dock on some river where the guy at the bait shop said some fish were running during tide movements. I heard rumors that soft plastic fish looking things from storm were the lures to use. I struck out. I realized I had no idea to catch a striper.

So I was wondering if somebody could direct me to a link or two for the basics on Mass striper fishing. Perhaps something that suggests baits, locations, and equipment as that I've been primarilty a large mouth/trout person before. I'm guessing that a large striper will strip my 12 lb. test off my black max 1600.

Thanks for any help

HappyWave.gif Hello, Jean. Welcome to the Mass forum.

Re: Your B&T Guy's Advice...

I'm sure that your B&T guy gave you solid info. Storm plastics are a go-to lure for many striper hounds these days, epecially here in the early season. And generally, bass tend to use fast moving water to their advantage, placing themselves where they can put out the least amount of energy while they wait until bait is helplessly washed by and then pouncing upon it. This is going to occur more obviously during tidal changes than during slack water periods.

The South Cape area is a very good area to begin looking for stripers during the early season. Of course, even as an expert, you can never expect to "catch" every time you go. That's why they call it "fishing," not "catching!"

Seeking Links With Advice and Locations...

Many of us who are big time fans of the fish in stripes are becoming very concerned about how technology is having a severely negative impact on the fishery. Although it's a useful tool, the internet is hardly the place to post specific "spots" to go fish for stripers. If I act like a nice guy and tell you, then 115 other anglers that are familiar with the area read my post. About 65 of them have plans to go fishing on Saturday. When Saturday rolls around, 40 of the 65 decide to check out my spot and they bring friends with them. The next time I go there, the place is trashed and there's three guys talking in a language I don't understand with a rip roaring fire going. They have a 29 gallon trash bucket full of short fish and not only have they broken the minimum size law, they have way over their quantity limit. They have 6 rods in the water and no idea that they have done anything wrong.

I can preach until I'm blue in the face but they don't even understand me and now my fishing experience for the day is ruined and my favorite spot is subject to a daily trashing. The next thing I'm obligated to do is go find the fish cops, right? Man, that's NOT my idea of R&R now, you know?

Should I post spot specific directions on the net? Hardly! It's not like sending in your favorite recipe to Emeril LaGasse! You can blow up a nifty spot with the drop of a keystoke!

But this is a very good site to learn about striper fishing techniques, make some friends and maybe get invited to fish some very good spots. Our friend Tim S who owns the site also is a tackle merchant who specializes in the absolute latest and the best in striper catching gear and tackle. If Tim doesn't have it in the on line tackle store, you either don't need it or you probably can't afford it!

So, this is your introduction to the site. Tradition has it that to be accepted by the crowd here, you must now tell a good joke. If you don't tell a joke but you want to stay, you have to send me to me and the next nine members who post after me a high quality custom made wooden striper plug! wink.gif

Welcome aboard!

big jim (AKA JimiDaBeachBumm)

cool.gif "Life's a beach!"

i would like to welcome you aboard and also apologize for Big Jim's rant upck.gif

if you are serious about fishing bass call, better yet go to a bait and tackle shop and let them know you are new to it. if you fish the Cape much P.M. me and i'll give you some spots that have fish in them, your not going to walk from the parking lot and lay waste to them but at least you'll be in the right area. good luck

So, this is your introduction to the site. Tradition has it that to be accepted by the crowd here, you must now tell a good joke. If you don't tell a joke but you want to stay, you have to send me to me and the next nine members who post after me a high quality custom made wooden striper plug! wink.gif

(AKA JimiDaBeachBumm)

cool.gif "Life's a beach!"

Okay, choose one you haven't heard

So three fishermen are standing on the bourne bridge when nature calls...

So a Rabbi, a Catholic preast, and a fisherman are deciding what portion of the day's catch should be devoted to charity....

Santa Clause, the Easter bunny, an honest fisherman, and President Bush all jump off the Empire state building....

i would like to welcome you aboard and also apologize for Big Jim's rant upck.gif

if you are serious about fishing bass call, better yet go to a bait and tackle shop and let them know you are new to it. if you fish the Cape much P.M. me and i'll give you some spots that have fish in them, your not going to walk from the parking lot and lay waste to them but at least you'll be in the right area. good luck

cwm13.gif Rant? Apologize for me? Run along home like a good lad now. Your mother is calling you.

MeanJean, welcome to the site.

I've invested about $300 into gear and lures this year already, and haven't caught a keeper yet! Still, fishing for striped bass is an excellent past time and one that you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of.

While I cannot offer any great advice, I'd like to echo what the bait and tackle shop worker had. I've been using everything in my tackle box from jigs to spinners to rapalas and poppers... Hands down, the most productive lure I've used this year has been the Storm WildEye shads. I assume this is what he pointed you towards.

So far, I haven't expected to catch any keepers since I fish a local stretch of beach in my waders, using a freshwater spinning reel with 8lb. test. I've caught about 13 stripers this year with the largest being about 24" and weighing in at 8 or 9 pounds. Every fish that I have caught have been on the 4" long Storm WildEye shads. Two colors have been productive... One is the bunker color and the other is the holographic (according to the label).. it's more of a translucent white with some reflective material.

In terms of fishing those shads, try many different things. Some days a slow steady retrieve works best. Others, you need a faster retrieve. And others still, you need to vary it up, twitching the shad from time to time.

Most importantly, just stick with the effort and continue to use forums such as these to look for and share advice.

If there's anything I can help with, please feel free to let me know.

The plastic tubing contains fish attractant, you should leave it on the hook. Once the plastic container falls off, the lure is useless. tongue.gif

The right place to start: Any cape cod bay facing beach early in the morning, just before sunrise, listen for breaking fish, cast one of the wildeyes (with plastic removed biggrin.gif ) to breaking fish. Retrieve and wait for the strike, when the fish takes, set the hook. Stripers are easy to catch once you find them wink.gif . If you're walking a jetty alone, always keep one hand on the rocks, rocks hurt.

Eric the Red:

When you fish the storm shad holographic theres a plastic sleeve on the hook.Do you leave it on or remove it.

Thanks Skipjack

Laugh all you want, but the fish attractant is one of the tastiest things I've come across... so I tend to take the sleeve off and chew on it awhile myself.

All kidding aside, the sleeve is there to protect the barb of the hook while packaged, and to also prevent injury when picking up the bag. Once you're ready to fish with it, remove the sleeve and go from there.