Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
New_Caster

Spooling line question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have always had a problem when spooling new line. I am not exactly sure how much is just right. I do not have a counter so using my new ABU 6500 as an example I am using 20# triline big game. the reel is rated for around 150 yrds. I have been told spool it till there is about 1/8th inch room on the spool but I can't realy tell 1/8 from 1/16 or an inch without calapers. what is an easy way to load line without overloading it?

Or attach your line to the spool with an arbor knot, and then measure how much line goes on with one complete turn of the handle, do a little math, and wind on the proper amount. when the reel is about half way filled, take another measurement and compensate.

BobT

well what I think I found out today is load my reel as I normal do, go out and cast till I get my fist backlash. that is how much line I should have on. might not be scientific but it works.

That's about right. And if you keep a spool in your glove box, you can respool without having to go home(cuz it's gonna be 3AM)when you backlash for the third time. If you bought a half pound of mono, you'll be ready for braid when it is gone wink.gif

You have that spare pawl too. Right? biggrin.gif