Live Herring

Rate this topic

In the past year or so I've been caught by the ditch bug.

Made my first spring trip to the ditch today. (Caught a dozen or so schoolies at the herring run and the East end on a rebel) My question is how do I go about getting or buying live herring? Went to a few bait shops and all they had was frozen. All the large fish I saw today were caught on live herring.

Thanks in advance

BTW .....Big fan of this board, you guys definately know what your talking about!

Ahh another lurker gets sucked in biggrin.gif

Sounds like you did ok today Brownie77 with lures.

To get live herring you either need to get a permit for one of the mant runs in the towns around the state or have a fresh water fishing license and got to the runs that only require that, Watertown and Harwich come to mind in that category, maybe there are others. Search the web for more info, it's out there.

But I think if you seriously want to fish live herring, you need to get setup ahead of time and have your live well ready to go. Also in the canal make up one of those laundry basket thingys to use as a pen or buy a mesh one. M & D's in Wareham has some Keep Alive bait tanks I think and also those mesh pens.

Good luck and welcome to SOL

Tread slowly, are the two words that most quickly come to mind. Herring can be tremendous bait, but it is tremendously easy to become completly obsessed with them, or maybe I just have issues.

We're talking pumps, batteries, nets, water quality, scales, clear connections, laundry basket rigging, rope, sore arms, but hopefully most importantly we're talking about big, i'll say it again BIG, bass. Which if you are willing can make the effort worth it.

Final two words...rule pump.

Must say, had the best ditch day of my short ditch career (3 keepers, 4 fish 20-28inchs, 2 blue fish, and 4 or 5 that got away) all on dead herring. But the guys with live herring were onto fish alot more. Looks like i could be a staple there for the next few weeks...and years to come hopefully.